A Conceptual Analysis of Autistic Masking

A Conceptual Analysis of Autistic Masking: Understanding the Narrative of Stigma and the Illusion of Choice, by Amy Pearson and Kieran Rose.

ABSTRACT

Autistic masking is an emerging research area that focuses on understanding the conscious or unconscious suppression of natural autistic responses and adoption of alternatives across a range of domains. It is suggested that masking may relate to negative outcomes for autistic people, including late/missed diagnosis, mental health issues, burnout, and suicidality. This makes it essential to understand what masking is, and why it occurs. In this conceptual analysis, we suggest that masking is an unsurprising response to the deficit narrative and accompanying stigma that has developed around autism. We outline how classical social theory (i.e., social identity theory) can help us to understand how and why people mask by situating masking in the social context in which it develops. We draw upon the literature on stigma and marginalization to examine how masking might intersect with different aspects of identity (e.g., gender). We argue that although masking might contribute toward disparities in diagnosis, it is important that we do not impose gender norms and stereotypes by associating masking with a “female autism phenotype.” Finally we provide recommendations for future research, stressing the need for increased understanding of the different ways that autism may present in different people (e.g., internalizing and externalizing) and intersectionality. We suggest that masking is examined through a sociodevelopmental lens, taking into account factors that contribute toward the initial development of the mask and that drive its maintenance.

CONCLUSION

We suggest that future research considers masking as a multidimensional fully interactive construct. To start, masking research needs to be fully grounded in social theory that acknowledges the role that the social environment and collective norms have upon the autistic person. Applying a social lens acknowledges that autistic people are social beings that do not develop in a vacuum. Moreover, masking should be considered in terms of its process; we might think of masking like the process of rock formation. What we see is the rock face, akin to the externally visible strategies that one might use to mask, for example, making eye contact and mimicking facial expressions. But these strategies have been molded over time, transformed by pressure, building up layer upon layer to create what is seen by the observer. Future research should consider the role of environment and context in masking, the outside pressures that led to the initial development, and the impact that this has had upon the individual. It should also take into account the developmental trajectory of masking, and the role that time and trauma play in the development of the mask, as well as the intersection between autism and other aspects of a person's identity (such as gender or race/ethnicity). The interaction between these processes and outcomes is likely to be an essential factor in understanding what can be done to provide better support for those whose mental health is negatively impacted by masking.

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/aut.2020.0043

• "Difficulty identifying one's own emotions can make it difficult to self-regulate, that is, not realizing that stress is increasing until you are at a breaking point. In addition, autistic people have reported that the energy put into masking can further detract from the already impacted ability to self-regulate,52 placing strain on an already depleted system" I think this is what happened to me although the term burnout had never been used. On reflection I can see that from masking each day at work, plus the idea that I had made some decisions in life because "that's what you're supposed to do",  plus not understanding my own emotions and body was a very rocky foundation so that when BIG things happen in life, it's very hard to cope.

I believe that's how it played out with me. Firstly, when I was younger, I probably had a false sense of logic and ' common sense ' based on observing those around me and trying to fit-in accordingly. Emotions or feelings or indeed, mental health in general were not even in the stratosphere of conversation and were treated as alien concepts for lost causes so usually ignored or made fun of.

I believe this alienation starts from a very early age at school, where all, one size fits all, kids are thrown into what seems like an innocent, subtle environment of harmless ' education ' but in reality, is the beginning of all masking and unnatural competition, kids are forced to learn as survival techniques. It is only in the last few hundred years, we as human beings, have allowed our kids to be taken from our care and placed into external institutions to be ' brought- up ' and reared by a stranger every year ( teacher ) and to learn from other children ( peers ) from age two onwards. This throws out the window any wisdom already learned through the group/tribe over millennia .

There is no real bonding or sense of identity taking place here at all. It is all about learning to be flexible and  subservient to whomever is in charge for life, be that teacher or employer.

Masking, and any number of problems is inevitable in this system. 

By the time you leave school, you have no clue who you are. You only know ' how you're supposed to be ' , ' what you're supposed to do ' , how you're supposed to act ' , ' what path or career you're supposed to take ' . 

I have talked to many university students who believe they have received an education, but unfortunately, still with all those years of ' education ' have much self-doubt and not much clue who they are really are or not much education of use in their lives. On the surface nonsense. 

One day, you find out you are none of the above.

• . There's the idea that autistic people have poor conceptions of theory of mind but this cannot be true if we are masking to fit in.

Yes, indeed. This has been a real puzzler for me. While all the MH professionals lose patience with me because I don't seem to see what they are saying about my own or other people's emotions automatically or instantaneously,  and think me unco-operative; my friends, by contrast, think of me as an empath who digs deep into the emotional realms and are mystified by this. Contradiction? - not arf!

Then...I read Attwood, and cried. I had no idea that other people could intuitively know either what they are feeling, never mind what anybody else does... I thought EVERY BODY knew what people feel and what they feel by analysing what they do and say....drawing parallels with experiences they've had before, action replaying to work out if x happens, a, b and c are possible responses and making an effort to really listen to what others say they feel.

Hell yes! I have an excellent theory of mind, thank you very much (lol). But the emphasis is on 'theory'. I theorise what others, apparently, are magically and effortlessly intuiting. Who knew? Perhaps we simply have a different ToM. It's slower, harder work, but can be effective. Effective enough for me to teach sex offences to coppers. My God, you need to scan that room for signs of discomfort. No wonder I'd crash on my bed still in my clothes of a Friday night to sleep for 12 hours straight.

I don't think I've been wearing a "mask" (the very word sounds dishonest, doesn't it?), but rather working very hard to identify what folks feel and what they need me to do for them. No wonder, I so often feel tired. It's not an attempt to fit it, just an attempt to meet the need; an act of care.

• You could cut and paste it into a word document

• interesting document but i really struggled to read this because the layout. if possible could it be edited and add a few breaks in the paragraphs.

• Some points of note from this article...

"To mask one must be aware of how others might potentially view them and suppress aspects of their identity accordingly. The idea that an autistic person might suppress aspects of themselves to “fit in” is also at odds with theories that suggest that autistic people are uninterested in social affiliation.41,42 " This I think is more about conscious masking, but I kind of agree with it. There's the idea that autistic people have poor conceptions of theory of mind but this cannot be true if we are masking to fit in.

"Difficulty identifying one's own emotions can make it difficult to self-regulate, that is, not realizing that stress is increasing until you are at a breaking point. In addition, autistic people have reported that the energy put into masking can further detract from the already impacted ability to self-regulate,52 placing strain on an already depleted system" I think this is what happened to me although the term burnout had never been used. On reflection I can see that from masking each day at work, plus the idea that I had made some decisions in life because "that's what you're supposed to do",  plus not understanding my own emotions and body was a very rocky foundation so that when BIG things happen in life, it's very hard to cope.

"One possible consideration that might provide a more meaningful understanding of how autistic characteristics manifest across individuals is that of internalizing versus externalizing. Internalizing is characterized by the process of directing emotional experiences inward, that is, ruminating."  Rumination came up in my CBT and I often tried to say "but I'm not worrying". We concluded that it might not be worry but it was uncertainty which caused the rumination.  I still don't think this 100% fits. However I do think for a lot of autistic people, myself included, characteristics are very much internalised. I don't know how much if this is to do with masking or not. It could link with the fact i have always observed others and that goes on internally with all the analysis and workings out. But I very much live in my head and I think it's one of the reasons people are surprised when I tell them I'm on the spectrum.

"Although we have mostly focused on the negative side of masking in this article, it is possible that many people view masking as part of a viable social strategy." I agree. To do what I want to do in my life I have to mask. It's so engrained,  I do it even when I'm with another fellow autistic person at work. I'm slowly picking away at this, it'll take time. 

Finally, I would like to add a youtube videos to my post which I feel is relevant. ..  youtu.be/t9COmZ2HwXY  she talks about research of four identifed compensatory strategies, and also the idea of "uncanny valley" - how people on the spectrum may received by others as "a bit weird".

• I tend to unmask while driving; doing impressions of my cleaner and my gran about the - perceived - conversations they would have, based on what my cleaner told me.

• I have read the article and it is very interesting, particularly the parts about  autistic masking and Theory of Mind, how masking should not just be a female stereotype. I like the fact it explores masking and social identity. I am currently writing a report about masking and I have discussed some of the theories in this article such as internalising and externalising, monotropism. 

• Thank you for posting.  I will read with interest