Depression?

I’ve got some questions, maybe someone’s got the answers.

I’ve tried to improve my mood. First by taking st.john’s wort and when it didn’t work I tried 5-htp. It didn’t work. Maybe the dose was too low, maybe I should double/triple it. 

I have generally low mood (but some days better, some days worse) and I have an anxiety. Anxiety is ruining my life.

It’s not a new issue and I’ve tried CBT and counselling which didn’t help. 

NHS CBT was completely useless.

Recently I’ve talked to someone about suicide and they said that it would be worth if I talk to GP and take some medication. 

But I’m not sure. 

I’m not at imminent risk. I know I might kill myself in the future but I’m not going to do it yet. It’s just an option if the life is too much. 

I’ve chosen the method and the thought is comforting. 

The thought that I’ve got the way out and that I’m prepared.

But I’m not going to kill myself yet. 

I have small children and I’m not going to cause trauma to my children. They are not ready to deal with that.

I’ve been having recurring suicidal thoughts for years.

I’ve never mentioned them in therapy because I didn’t want to make a big deal out of it and I was afraid how they might react.

And now to my questions.

Should I go to GP? 

Will they tell anyone? 

Are they going to make a big deal out of it? 

Or maybe ignore me? 

Maybe it’s not worth mentioning at all? 

Will I be sent to CBT again? 

Offered medication? 

Can I choose medication or therapy? 

What about side effects of medication?

I’m worried about side effects.

Parents
  • I used to have debilitating anxiety and depression and general low mood. Anxiety kept me awake at night, and if I got any sleep, when I woke up I was already depressed and wanted to sleep forever. Things that most people could do (go outside, buy things, make decisions, socialize) I struggled with, no matter how many times I've done them before. I also felt suicidal as that's how low my mood was.

I thought that my stress and low mood was causing my stomach problems and other physical issues, but it was actually the opposite. My stomach problems was the cause of my stress and low mood. I discovered that I couldn't eat certain things that caused inflammation in my body, which was gluten, and when I stopped eating it, my stomach was better, and my mood uplifted after a week of stopping it, but my mood would dip back down if I accidentally ate gluten again.

So I'd suggest finding out what you're food intolerances and allergies are, before trying out antidepressants. But that's just a suggestion, it's up to you what would be best for your life.

• I used to have debilitating anxiety and depression and general low mood. Anxiety kept me awake at night, and if I got any sleep, when I woke up I was already depressed and wanted to sleep forever. Things that most people could do (go outside, buy things, make decisions, socialize) I struggled with, no matter how many times I've done them before. I also felt suicidal as that's how low my mood was.

I thought that my stress and low mood was causing my stomach problems and other physical issues, but it was actually the opposite. My stomach problems was the cause of my stress and low mood. I discovered that I couldn't eat certain things that caused inflammation in my body, which was gluten, and when I stopped eating it, my stomach was better, and my mood uplifted after a week of stopping it, but my mood would dip back down if I accidentally ate gluten again.

So I'd suggest finding out what you're food intolerances and allergies are, before trying out antidepressants. But that's just a suggestion, it's up to you what would be best for your life.

Children
  • This is really good advice. I went off gluten again after eating it for about 8months. I've been gf fro 6+ years, but it pisses me off. Truth, is I need to be honest with myself & after all the crap they do to it--it affects everyone.....still, I don't have to be happy about it. Alot of days...a pastry or something was all I could look forward to. Now, I'm back gf--but I'm grumpy. There's a really good documentary I just watched, called "What is up with the wheat?" I highly recommend....talks about damage effects of glyphosate etc. Ok, off gluten soapbox.