Hello

I have not been posting on the NAS forum since the new layout. I find change difficult and actually way preferred the previous lay out (does anyone here agree??).

Anyhow, thought I'd introduce myself because have not posted for such a long time.

I have a diagnosis of Asperger's but call  myself autistic (under the new criteria, it'a all the same anyway). I am 30 years old and was diagnosed back in 2009, on the NHS, when I was 21, after receiving CBT for OCD that had not worked, and because I had long standing problems that had not been adequately explained: a history of being a loner, minimal and failed friendships, obsessive behaviour (interests and other), problems around needing to be in control and knowing what to expect, etc. I am beginning to become more aware also of how severely I am affected by noise, which affects my concentration and makes me feel very stressed.

I also have colour grapheme synaesthesia, but took my perceptions for granted until recently as assumed everyone saw as I did.

I enjoy reading complicated philosophy and psychology books, books about autism and nutrition, and I like cooking and food (a major interest area). I also enjoy raising awareness of autism via public speaking and writing blogs when I have the time.

I cannot work and am on benefits. Never been in a relationship. My co-existing OCD adds another layer of disability, and I have a very uneven skills profile, being proficient in some areas (words and reading, mainly), but struggle with organisation, overload, keeping things tidy, multitasking, etc.

Parents
  • Hi Hope, so many things to think about. I'm glad you have come back, I got the impression that lots of people left here for the long grass just before I joined. I never saw the old format but I've looked at many forums on many subjects and they are all linear apart from one I looked at a few days ago which was nested by default but gave the option to view it linear. I pretty much hate this format but the people and content will keep me here.

I'm still working through what it all means for me (49, on waiting list for diagnosis but now suspect I have ADHD too). I'm an artist who doesn't earn any money because I struggle with self publicity and apparently that is how the arts work. Intrigued by your synaesthesia if you ever feel like trying to enlighten us?

Hope to see you about more. If you click on the more button at the bottom of your post it gives you the option to edit among others. )

• Hi Hope, so many things to think about. I'm glad you have come back, I got the impression that lots of people left here for the long grass just before I joined. I never saw the old format but I've looked at many forums on many subjects and they are all linear apart from one I looked at a few days ago which was nested by default but gave the option to view it linear. I pretty much hate this format but the people and content will keep me here.

I'm still working through what it all means for me (49, on waiting list for diagnosis but now suspect I have ADHD too). I'm an artist who doesn't earn any money because I struggle with self publicity and apparently that is how the arts work. Intrigued by your synaesthesia if you ever feel like trying to enlighten us?

Hope to see you about more. If you click on the more button at the bottom of your post it gives you the option to edit among others. )

Children
No Data