Hello

I have not been posting on the NAS forum since the new layout. I find change difficult and actually way preferred the previous lay out (does anyone here agree??).

Anyhow, thought I'd introduce myself because have not posted for such a long time.

I have a diagnosis of Asperger's but call  myself autistic (under the new criteria, it'a all the same anyway). I am 30 years old and was diagnosed back in 2009, on the NHS, when I was 21, after receiving CBT for OCD that had not worked, and because I had long standing problems that had not been adequately explained: a history of being a loner, minimal and failed friendships, obsessive behaviour (interests and other), problems around needing to be in control and knowing what to expect, etc. I am beginning to become more aware also of how severely I am affected by noise, which affects my concentration and makes me feel very stressed.

I also have colour grapheme synaesthesia, but took my perceptions for granted until recently as assumed everyone saw as I did.

I enjoy reading complicated philosophy and psychology books, books about autism and nutrition, and I like cooking and food (a major interest area). I also enjoy raising awareness of autism via public speaking and writing blogs when I have the time.

I cannot work and am on benefits. Never been in a relationship. My co-existing OCD adds another layer of disability, and I have a very uneven skills profile, being proficient in some areas (words and reading, mainly), but struggle with organisation, overload, keeping things tidy, multitasking, etc.

Parents
  • Welcome back.  I think the new website is better overall. But i am using it on a smartphone and sometimes I cannot find my own contributions.  They seem to have disappeared!

I also have obsessive behaviours.  Currently I am 10 weeks into a health and fitness course, I have been told not to weigh myself daily.  Once a week is enough, was the advice.  Well I often weigh myself 30 times a day.  Keep track of all my calories each day.   Keep a record of my weight on an Excel spreadsheet.  With several graphs.

• Welcome back.  I think the new website is better overall. But i am using it on a smartphone and sometimes I cannot find my own contributions.  They seem to have disappeared!

I also have obsessive behaviours.  Currently I am 10 weeks into a health and fitness course, I have been told not to weigh myself daily.  Once a week is enough, was the advice.  Well I often weigh myself 30 times a day.  Keep track of all my calories each day.   Keep a record of my weight on an Excel spreadsheet.  With several graphs.

Children
No Data