Hi

Over 60 and recently diagnosed ASD/Asperger's

Parents
  • Hey you!

i am a 42 yr old self diagnosed female elephant...there are lovely, supportive and helpful people here!

....and me! :)

• Your smile isn't really coming across that clearly in this online format! I'll have to imagine it!...just like you'll have to imagine talking to a woman with a trunk!

how do you feel about your diagnosis? 

• It varies day-by-day, almost hour-by-hour, but i think it's on a rising plane. I still think self-identification might have been enough, but the diagnosis was at least a wonderful opportunity to talk someone with some real empathy, understanding and probably common experience. If I eventually fall off the spectrum as a result of say a new DSM, I think I'm likely to just continue thinking I'm something a bit neurodiverse, as an approximation of that thought (without any label being then available) has been with me for decades. On the other hand, i don't really feel I'm on the Wrong Planet. Lots of supposed neurotypicals obviously have very similar issues. So overall, it is positive. The comorbidity of GAD and depression is perhaps more difficult to deal with. I retired because work was making me almost constantly anxious, but now I'm anxious about finding things to do and affording retirement. It would help to have some online work to do.

• It varies day-by-day, almost hour-by-hour, but i think it's on a rising plane. I still think self-identification might have been enough, but the diagnosis was at least a wonderful opportunity to talk someone with some real empathy, understanding and probably common experience. If I eventually fall off the spectrum as a result of say a new DSM, I think I'm likely to just continue thinking I'm something a bit neurodiverse, as an approximation of that thought (without any label being then available) has been with me for decades. On the other hand, i don't really feel I'm on the Wrong Planet. Lots of supposed neurotypicals obviously have very similar issues. So overall, it is positive. The comorbidity of GAD and depression is perhaps more difficult to deal with. I retired because work was making me almost constantly anxious, but now I'm anxious about finding things to do and affording retirement. It would help to have some online work to do.

Children
No Data