Hi, my name is Jackie and Im 17. I was diagnosed with Aspergers at 14 and only recently started to look into autism and the specturm in general. Since I was diagnosed I have been ashamed of my condition and never really wanted to tell anyone about it. My mum wants me accept this part of me but it's really hard. None of my immediate family is on the specturm and as far as I know none of my friends are either. I feel like it just makes me more difficult, out of place and wrong. I found myself trying to look up a " cure " for it but felt extremely stupid because Ive never googled how to stop being myself any other time, why can i accept other parts of me but not this? 

So anyway to make a long story short, Ive decided to introduce myself to people that are going through the same stuff as me and see if I can be more accepting of my condition. 

• hello jackie

i am autistic.

however, as you are only 17, there are rules on this site to protect those under age. the rules are that an adult, such as i, can only interact with you in a limited fashion.

saying that, there are people who post here on this site who are underage, so have a read through everything that might interest you, there are lots of threads talking about lots of different subjects.

also, the NAS runs a befriending service, so have a look for that here on this site.

if it does help at all, you are not alone in having difficulty talking about your self, or your autism. lots of people have lots of different experiences, so don't feel alone in what you feel. just read through the forums on this site and you will see lots of different ideas and opinions.

if you do feel concerned at any time for your personal wellbeing or mental health, if you have any worries or anxieties, contact your gp and they will be able to help you and offer you more support and put you in touch with support networks in your local area.

for what it's worth, i think your approach you've outlined thus far in your post is a very sensible one. i wish you the best in your exploration.