Hi.  I have just joined this Forum as I am struggling with dealing with my daughter who is 24 and has Asperger's.  I just would like to talk with people who care for an adult with Asperger's.

My aim in life is to try and get my daughter to engage with the outside world.  She spends most of her time in her bedroom talking to people on her xbox.  She will not go out without me and would never speak to anybody on the phone or answer the door.  

She is very good at art and has studied music technology at college.  We live in West Sussex and I am looking for any groups that offer art and/or music therapy.  She needs to get out and have some sort of structure to her life because I will not be here for ever and I worry about her future on her own.  

I myself could also do with some support because things can be very stressful at home and there is only the two of us, so it's full on! 

• Hi Ally,

We have some resources on the website I think you might find useful, such as the Autism Services Directory, where you can look for support services in your local area. Since you mentioned you live in West Sussex, this is a direct link to the services in that area - www.autism.org.uk/.../cid=292~aid=403.aspx - where you might find, for example, a group for parents of adults with ASD to talk things over with.

Specific to the situation you described with your daughter, here is one service in West Sussex that specifically helps adults with ASD and their parents or carers, that can do sessions either face-to-face or online - www.alongsideautism.co.uk/lima-project.html

Hope this is helpful,

Best wishes,

Ross - mod