Autistic culture?

Hi all, I'm a Music Therapist working for the NHS and am Chief Editor of a book called "A Spectrum of Approaches: Music Therapy and Autism Across the Lifespan." I'm writing a chapter on the idea of seeing autism in cultural terms, not just diagnostic and would love contributions from people on the spectrum and their families and carers. Is there such as thing as "autistic culture" as separate from "neurotypical"? How is this manifest in terms of self-identity, the arts, and fitting in with others. If anyone would like to make some comments here, or get in touch with me via [email address removed by moderator] If possible, I'd love to include some comments in my chapter.

Many thanks,

Henry

Please note email address removed by moderator as no personal contact details are allowed on the forum.  Many thanks, Heather - Mod

Parents
  • I've heard of Steve Silberman. He has the double "difference" of being both autistic and gay. I haven't read his book, but really should as it is so relevant. I'm glad you found a group of like-minded friends. As you say, everybody does stuff that others may consider weird, but that just shows how diverse we are. I'm so sorry to hear of your friends that died, it must have been an awful period of your life.

• I've heard of Steve Silberman. He has the double "difference" of being both autistic and gay. I haven't read his book, but really should as it is so relevant. I'm glad you found a group of like-minded friends. As you say, everybody does stuff that others may consider weird, but that just shows how diverse we are. I'm so sorry to hear of your friends that died, it must have been an awful period of your life.

Children
No Data