Autistic culture?

Hi all, I'm a Music Therapist working for the NHS and am Chief Editor of a book called "A Spectrum of Approaches: Music Therapy and Autism Across the Lifespan." I'm writing a chapter on the idea of seeing autism in cultural terms, not just diagnostic and would love contributions from people on the spectrum and their families and carers. Is there such as thing as "autistic culture" as separate from "neurotypical"? How is this manifest in terms of self-identity, the arts, and fitting in with others. If anyone would like to make some comments here, or get in touch with me via [email address removed by moderator] If possible, I'd love to include some comments in my chapter.

Many thanks,

Henry

Please note email address removed by moderator as no personal contact details are allowed on the forum.  Many thanks, Heather - Mod

Parents
  • there is no culture aside from the culture of the nation you grew up in.

if you grew up in the west, your likely in this day of the culture that watches tv, eats junk food, and plays on video games all day.

your life and culture depends on what nation you were born in, thus there is no clear culture in a personality disorder as your life is shaped by the culture and lifestyle of the nation instead. the personality disorder just determins that you have less chance to fit in, less likely to have a job or friends or a relationship in your culture, but your still part of your nations culture.... and in this day and age with how shut in and home electronics based western culture is now, even the neurotypicals are now shut ins with no life family or job anymore so theres not really much difference anymore if you tried to analyse it.

• there is no culture aside from the culture of the nation you grew up in.

if you grew up in the west, your likely in this day of the culture that watches tv, eats junk food, and plays on video games all day.

your life and culture depends on what nation you were born in, thus there is no clear culture in a personality disorder as your life is shaped by the culture and lifestyle of the nation instead. the personality disorder just determins that you have less chance to fit in, less likely to have a job or friends or a relationship in your culture, but your still part of your nations culture.... and in this day and age with how shut in and home electronics based western culture is now, even the neurotypicals are now shut ins with no life family or job anymore so theres not really much difference anymore if you tried to analyse it.

Children
No Data