Hi, I'm from abroad...

Hi, I'm a UK-educated 41-y-o foreigner who, I think, now has an autistic child in his family, in its care. I use the word "think" because she is only 1.4 months old and doctors where I live don't diagnose autism, nor even closely aware of this condition. Yet, my observations and tons of information I've read online leave me no room for much optimism that the traits I already see will smooth out. I have decided to join this page and forum because we have no such website in my own country and the UK is the country where I studied and lived for some time. I'm open for discussions and exchange of experience with any parent or carer who has had an autistic child and me and my family who take care of our little, lovely girl need much psychological, moral support that we don't know how to get. Please, write to me anyone.

Parents
  • Hi, my dear friend. I was talking to you about a month ago and haven't been visiting the chatroom since, as I was very busy with trying to help the child and stuff like that. Now were are enrolled in some development courses twice a week, and in queue for more (which may take several months). I have one QUESTION for you that I hope you can shed more light on for me, because I'm at my wits' end. Our girl (about to turn 18 months old) is not responding to her name or any speech directed to her. I know that it is autistic, but still. If you have this experience, can you explain exactly why is that. And what can be done by parents to develop this skill. Or this is something will never come? She responds only when you call her or say something for the first time. She will look up briefly and then again turn away. And will not respond again as long as she has you around. She will respond by brief eye contact occasonally to some rhymes and songs. Please, please, explain me the nature of this and what to do to get the attention of an autistic child. Thank you in advance.

• Hi, my dear friend. I was talking to you about a month ago and haven't been visiting the chatroom since, as I was very busy with trying to help the child and stuff like that. Now were are enrolled in some development courses twice a week, and in queue for more (which may take several months). I have one QUESTION for you that I hope you can shed more light on for me, because I'm at my wits' end. Our girl (about to turn 18 months old) is not responding to her name or any speech directed to her. I know that it is autistic, but still. If you have this experience, can you explain exactly why is that. And what can be done by parents to develop this skill. Or this is something will never come? She responds only when you call her or say something for the first time. She will look up briefly and then again turn away. And will not respond again as long as she has you around. She will respond by brief eye contact occasonally to some rhymes and songs. Please, please, explain me the nature of this and what to do to get the attention of an autistic child. Thank you in advance.

Children
No Data