Just diagnosed and confused

I guess I am just saying hello just now, as I don't really know what help or support I need just yet, but thought I would pop in and introduce myself.

I am mum to a 16 year old daughter who has just been diagnosed with ASD (Aspergers) after about 18 months of escalating struggles with anxiety and depression.  It is now believed this has been caused by 16 years of masking the symptoms.

Her significant issues are mostly with friendships, relationships, and massively with school.

I have many mixed emotions now, guilt (why did I not see this earlier!),  sad (for the life long nature of the condition), relief (she is not mentally ill), and just overwhelmed by where to start looking for help and support.

Anyway, for now I will probably do a bit of lurking, ask the odd question and wait till I get the full ADOS report next week - I only have the informal verbal feedback after ADOS test, but it was a clear diagnosis.  I appreciate you all being here x 

Parents
  • Taking your username as a geographical indication, your daughter may find in time that SWAN (Scottish Women with Autism Network) is a useful organisation. I don't know whether they have a lower age limit of 16 or 18. If I recall correctly there has at some point been a discussion about needing space for younger women/girls, though I'm not sure whether this has ever come to fruition. They might know about other local options if they aren't suitable for your daughter. Disclaimer: I do not have direct experience of SWAN, but have met 2 of the people involved on 2 and 3 occasions respectively.

I'm not so familiar with what is available for you, but do pose questions and share experiences here, as you are inclined. Also, the search facility for this community can help you find previous threads which may relate to your concerns.

• Taking your username as a geographical indication, your daughter may find in time that SWAN (Scottish Women with Autism Network) is a useful organisation. I don't know whether they have a lower age limit of 16 or 18. If I recall correctly there has at some point been a discussion about needing space for younger women/girls, though I'm not sure whether this has ever come to fruition. They might know about other local options if they aren't suitable for your daughter. Disclaimer: I do not have direct experience of SWAN, but have met 2 of the people involved on 2 and 3 occasions respectively.

I'm not so familiar with what is available for you, but do pose questions and share experiences here, as you are inclined. Also, the search facility for this community can help you find previous threads which may relate to your concerns.

Children
No Data