Just diagnosed and confused

I guess I am just saying hello just now, as I don't really know what help or support I need just yet, but thought I would pop in and introduce myself.

I am mum to a 16 year old daughter who has just been diagnosed with ASD (Aspergers) after about 18 months of escalating struggles with anxiety and depression.  It is now believed this has been caused by 16 years of masking the symptoms.

Her significant issues are mostly with friendships, relationships, and massively with school.

I have many mixed emotions now, guilt (why did I not see this earlier!),  sad (for the life long nature of the condition), relief (she is not mentally ill), and just overwhelmed by where to start looking for help and support.

Anyway, for now I will probably do a bit of lurking, ask the odd question and wait till I get the full ADOS report next week - I only have the informal verbal feedback after ADOS test, but it was a clear diagnosis.  I appreciate you all being here x 

Parents
  • Hi LostMuminGlasgow,

Welcome to the Community.

I have listed some information and services below which you may find useful. 

You can find lots of information on what to do post-diagnosis on our website: http://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/children/recently-diagnosed.aspx

Post-diagnosis can be a very nervous time for any parent, but we're here to help you. In this link you can find information on the effects on your family, getting some practical support as well as telling your child about their diagnosis.

For more information or advice, or for any other questions you might have, please contact our autism helpline, who can provide you with impartial, confidential advice and support on autism: please call 0808 800 4104 (our lines are open 10am-4pm Monday-Friday)

You can search for services in your area on the Autism Services Directory:

www.autismdirectory.org.uk This includes services such as: support groups, social groups, advocacy, befriending, residential settings, outreach and respite.

I hope you have found this information helpful.

Regena-Mod

• Hi LostMuminGlasgow,

Welcome to the Community.

I have listed some information and services below which you may find useful. 

You can find lots of information on what to do post-diagnosis on our website: http://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/children/recently-diagnosed.aspx

Post-diagnosis can be a very nervous time for any parent, but we're here to help you. In this link you can find information on the effects on your family, getting some practical support as well as telling your child about their diagnosis.

For more information or advice, or for any other questions you might have, please contact our autism helpline, who can provide you with impartial, confidential advice and support on autism: please call 0808 800 4104 (our lines are open 10am-4pm Monday-Friday)

You can search for services in your area on the Autism Services Directory:

www.autismdirectory.org.uk This includes services such as: support groups, social groups, advocacy, befriending, residential settings, outreach and respite.

I hope you have found this information helpful.

Regena-Mod

Children
No Data