Decorating Grandchild's Bedroom

Hello Im New to this site. I p'm a grandma and have my grandchild sleep over to give parents a break. My grandchild takes up to 2 hours before they settle to sleep. Which is a nightmare for them and us. I have been adviced to contact this forum to see what is best for decorating their bedroom, to try and make it feel Safe, calming and relaxing for my 6 yrs old grandchild. thank you. 

Parents
  • Hello DMHOLD,

Decorating an Autistic childs bedroom can be somewhat troublesome and unfortunatley it can be trial and error. I had decorated my daughters bedroom pink because i had thought this was a fairly neutral colour but she wouldnt take to it so i then painted it white with one wall of patterned paper which she did like. An idea that you can try is to decorate the room exactly as it is at home, that way the child will go into a room that they will feel safe in as the child sees the same as home. There could be some difficulty with this because if the child doesnt like the way their bedroom is at home and no one has noticed then this can be problematic at your house. Colours can make things difficult as it depends on the child and their sensory issues but something else you can try in addition to the decorating is to have some things like toys and dvds that they are familiar with from their home which can settle them down. I know this may seem "middle of the road" but it all depends on the child. I hope this helps.

• Hello DMHOLD,

Decorating an Autistic childs bedroom can be somewhat troublesome and unfortunatley it can be trial and error. I had decorated my daughters bedroom pink because i had thought this was a fairly neutral colour but she wouldnt take to it so i then painted it white with one wall of patterned paper which she did like. An idea that you can try is to decorate the room exactly as it is at home, that way the child will go into a room that they will feel safe in as the child sees the same as home. There could be some difficulty with this because if the child doesnt like the way their bedroom is at home and no one has noticed then this can be problematic at your house. Colours can make things difficult as it depends on the child and their sensory issues but something else you can try in addition to the decorating is to have some things like toys and dvds that they are familiar with from their home which can settle them down. I know this may seem "middle of the road" but it all depends on the child. I hope this helps.

Children
No Data