Hi everyone

Hi,

I have just found this online group so thought i would introduce myself. My name is Rhiannon and i am 37yrs old. I have two children, Josh (12) and Lucy (9). Lucy was diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum disorder when she was 4.5yrs old and Josh was only diagnosed last September. Josh is having to see a psychiatrist for help fortnightly as he is struggling with managing his anger and also was having suicidal thoughts. 

Currently Josh can get very very angry and it's hard to calm him down when he gets like this so i struggle a lot. Really hoping i can get suggestions from others on how i can try and help him along with getting support for myself. 

Hope to talk to a few of you soon

Rhiannon

Parents
  • Hi rhibennet,

Anger issues can be caused through a number of things. One of these things can be sensory issues where the child is taking in too much of what is surrounding him and there is real difficulty in finding out what may be triggering it off. This is trial and error to find out what triggers it off. Another is routine, if he isnt part of a rigid routine of his own choosing then this can trigger allsorts of issues. Things which may seem trivial to us can be overwhelming for your child if you change it so allow him to develop his own routines. There can be many more including food issues, certain times of day which may affect him and even his interests can cause issues if you try to take it away from him without working out a way to get him to understand why he has to come away from it. As far as the suicide thoughts are coming from i cant help you there. I have completed an Autism awareness course which has helped me out no end. If you have a wowcher login you can do the course for next to nothing. just type Autism and it will give you a list of accredited suppliers. The course i did should have been £120 but i got it for "£19" but it is well worth doing. Hope this helps.

• Hi rhibennet,

Anger issues can be caused through a number of things. One of these things can be sensory issues where the child is taking in too much of what is surrounding him and there is real difficulty in finding out what may be triggering it off. This is trial and error to find out what triggers it off. Another is routine, if he isnt part of a rigid routine of his own choosing then this can trigger allsorts of issues. Things which may seem trivial to us can be overwhelming for your child if you change it so allow him to develop his own routines. There can be many more including food issues, certain times of day which may affect him and even his interests can cause issues if you try to take it away from him without working out a way to get him to understand why he has to come away from it. As far as the suicide thoughts are coming from i cant help you there. I have completed an Autism awareness course which has helped me out no end. If you have a wowcher login you can do the course for next to nothing. just type Autism and it will give you a list of accredited suppliers. The course i did should have been £120 but i got it for "£19" but it is well worth doing. Hope this helps.

Children
No Data