Hi, I was referred to a Gender Identity Clinc and during the session I answered lots of questions about sensitivities to light, sound, the feel of certain fabrics etc. It transpired the therapist was trained in the field of Autism and Aspergers. He's recommended my GP refer me on for an assessment.

My question: Is it more common for people on the spectrum to have issues with their gender?

Thanks

Parents
  • I understand there is some evidence that gender non-conformity/atypicality is more frequent among autistic people, and autistic traits are more common among the transgender community. This has not been fully explored in terms of righteous research, and is nut universally accepted. Nevertheless, some gender clinics do screen for autistic traits among those who attend the clinic. (I am aware of some people being asked for their consent, which would seem the most transparent, ethical approach. I'm not sure of the circumstances which led to the recommendations for your GP to refer you for assessment, though that is secondary at this stage).

So, to respond directly to your question, yes, my understanding is that it is more common for autistic people to question their gender. This is by no means a comprehensive explanation off the latest research, but you may be interested to read this article on the topic:

www.huffingtonpost.com/.../is-there-a-link-between-autism-and-gender-dysphoria_b_3896317.html

If you are on Facebook or Twitter there are write a few transgender autistic people. You can also read the messages from previous "autchat" twitter chats, including various ones pertaining to gender diversity, such as this one from the archive:

storify.com/.../autchat-trans-nonbinary

So you are not alone in considering both your gender and the possibility of autism/autistic traits.

All the best

• I understand there is some evidence that gender non-conformity/atypicality is more frequent among autistic people, and autistic traits are more common among the transgender community. This has not been fully explored in terms of righteous research, and is nut universally accepted. Nevertheless, some gender clinics do screen for autistic traits among those who attend the clinic. (I am aware of some people being asked for their consent, which would seem the most transparent, ethical approach. I'm not sure of the circumstances which led to the recommendations for your GP to refer you for assessment, though that is secondary at this stage).

So, to respond directly to your question, yes, my understanding is that it is more common for autistic people to question their gender. This is by no means a comprehensive explanation off the latest research, but you may be interested to read this article on the topic:

www.huffingtonpost.com/.../is-there-a-link-between-autism-and-gender-dysphoria_b_3896317.html

If you are on Facebook or Twitter there are write a few transgender autistic people. You can also read the messages from previous "autchat" twitter chats, including various ones pertaining to gender diversity, such as this one from the archive:

storify.com/.../autchat-trans-nonbinary

So you are not alone in considering both your gender and the possibility of autism/autistic traits.

All the best

Children
No Data