Hi

Hi I am Bert a 53 y/o male I was advised to seek an assessment for ASD 12 years ago by Nas but my doctor refused said I had to see Psychiatrist if he felt I should be assessed then He would see about it.

When I saw him he refused to look at any information from the Autistic Society or letters from employees & family & said he did not label people,so for 12 years I have floundered & went back to my doctors for 1 st time in 12 years asked for a referral to a Clinical Psychologist Specializing in Autism for a diagnosis 3 months ago this was granted,went in again this week to be told they do not label people so instead I have to go to local mental health unit see a psychologist if they think I need to be assessed for Autism then I will be referred elsewhere to be tested,is it always this difficult.

Parents
  • The suggestion I was Aspergers came from the community mental health team psychologist after I already had a year of CBT and referred myself again because i needed more help. I had no idea of Aspergers etc. It came from them and I am so thankful i followed it through because the road was long but wasn't aware of it in that I was only thinking of immediate help. It is always difficult - sadly., but I was lucky in that it was their suggestion. The hard part was waiting for the assessments. When they happend it was all quite quick.

• The suggestion I was Aspergers came from the community mental health team psychologist after I already had a year of CBT and referred myself again because i needed more help. I had no idea of Aspergers etc. It came from them and I am so thankful i followed it through because the road was long but wasn't aware of it in that I was only thinking of immediate help. It is always difficult - sadly., but I was lucky in that it was their suggestion. The hard part was waiting for the assessments. When they happend it was all quite quick.

Children
No Data