Hello from a desperate mum!

Hi I'm a newbie here. I have a 4 yr old son with a recent asd diagnosis. No one believes he has it as he's so good and cute and wonderful etc but ...... at home he's out of control! Iour family is at breaking point and I have no idea where to turn to for help. Any tips would be gratefully received pleeeeeeeeease!!! 

Parents
  • I too have a 4 year old with a very recent high functioning autism diagnosis. Most people wouldn't know as he appears very average apart from his social awkwardness and he is highly intelligent. He is generally good but can throw some wobblers at home, but thankfully they aren't too often. It's more like he'll have a phase of a week or so when he is a bit of a challenge to deal with. Have you sought out parenting help from a local support group? Does your son find it difficult to share his feelings and share what he has done at school /preschool that day? If so try using a puppet for him to talk to. It worked wonders with my son. Even though he knows it's me operating the puppet he speaks to it like it's a real person and I have found it's a good way to get info out of him like how he's feeling etc. This may help if he is having bad behaviour because he feels he can't communicate his feelings properly. Just an idea! 

• I too have a 4 year old with a very recent high functioning autism diagnosis. Most people wouldn't know as he appears very average apart from his social awkwardness and he is highly intelligent. He is generally good but can throw some wobblers at home, but thankfully they aren't too often. It's more like he'll have a phase of a week or so when he is a bit of a challenge to deal with. Have you sought out parenting help from a local support group? Does your son find it difficult to share his feelings and share what he has done at school /preschool that day? If so try using a puppet for him to talk to. It worked wonders with my son. Even though he knows it's me operating the puppet he speaks to it like it's a real person and I have found it's a good way to get info out of him like how he's feeling etc. This may help if he is having bad behaviour because he feels he can't communicate his feelings properly. Just an idea! 

Children
No Data