New and unsure

hi everyone

i have joined the community as there is a strong possibility my little boy (4yrs old) has ASD. It's really early days - school have been having problems with his behaviour in the classroom. I'm feeling pretty stupid as I haven't noticed. I'm a health visitor and to me my son has just always been the way he is - never a problem.I think I've adapted how I am with him (compared to my older son) because I'm familiar with behaviour strategies but I think I've inadvertently been masking symptoms. I've had family who have said the same as school. And now when I piece all his little quirks together, it hits me in the face. The school SENCO is observing him next week. Should I be taking him to GP too or will things happen from school? I'm totally confused.

Parents
  • Hi indieman

I think I will book an appointment then. My son was seen by speech and language therapy in April time. At the time she had felt that his issues were only in the school environment (he was at school in the morning in nursery and at a childminder in the afternoon). He is very quirky and I don't think I realised how many of his quirks pointed to possible ASD and tbh he isn't particularly a problem to me and my husband as we just deal with any meltdowns and quirky behaviours. I think I probably played down his needs with speech and language therapy because I hadn't viewed them as a problem. I feel really dumb but to us it's always been his personality. The more I'm learning about more subtle signs of ASD the more I'm worrying. Thank you for sharing your experience. Any further information would be much appreciated. Thanks again. 

• Hi indieman

I think I will book an appointment then. My son was seen by speech and language therapy in April time. At the time she had felt that his issues were only in the school environment (he was at school in the morning in nursery and at a childminder in the afternoon). He is very quirky and I don't think I realised how many of his quirks pointed to possible ASD and tbh he isn't particularly a problem to me and my husband as we just deal with any meltdowns and quirky behaviours. I think I probably played down his needs with speech and language therapy because I hadn't viewed them as a problem. I feel really dumb but to us it's always been his personality. The more I'm learning about more subtle signs of ASD the more I'm worrying. Thank you for sharing your experience. Any further information would be much appreciated. Thanks again. 

Children
No Data