Hi there :-)

Hello

My daughter has just diagnosed this week as being on the spectrum and she is 3 years old. I had suspected that she was on tbe spectrum for quite a while but not being a professional i couldn't be absolutely sure. Wasn't sure exactly what the outcome of her review was going to be but was both suprised the diagnosis was made there and then and relieved to know that i hadn't been worrying over nothing all this time. Would be nice to speak to parents/carers with experience or who are in the same position as me and are just finding their feet with it all at the moment.

Parents
  • Hello Moonmum,

My Son was diagnosed 18months of age now he is 20.

You were able to spot your Daughters behaviour that will be helpful for her as you can get the support she may need from an early age.  

It shows your very observant there are some adults diagnosed later in life on this forum.  Me being one of them.  I personally think if you can have the support during the School years it will be better for your Daughter & family.

The best thing to do now is observe what she needs help with then see what works for her.  I found it helpful to know what the normal developmental stages were.

Observe my Son then see what we could help him progressive with.  

He is severely Autistic still but he still does small things for himself.  I'm Atypical Autistic with no learning difficulties.  We are both very different. No two people are effected the same with asd. 

Please submerge her into lots of different social situations.  

You will be helping her to cope better when she older.  Though a few adjustments maybe needed.. eg my Son used to have tantrums  I took the furniture out of the room & gave him no attention until he calmed down. Eventually the tantrums stopped.  I did put the furniture back !

He used to pull my hair & other peoples plus glasses.  I would take him away from the person or situation & tell him no.  Eventually he realised when he done these behaviours he would be taken away & told off. So stopped.

He isn't an archangel but his behaviour is more manageable..There is a book called what why when where who.  Good read.  Most helpful.

I feel you will find lots of help here.

Let us know how it's going.

• Hello Moonmum,

My Son was diagnosed 18months of age now he is 20.

You were able to spot your Daughters behaviour that will be helpful for her as you can get the support she may need from an early age.  

It shows your very observant there are some adults diagnosed later in life on this forum.  Me being one of them.  I personally think if you can have the support during the School years it will be better for your Daughter & family.

The best thing to do now is observe what she needs help with then see what works for her.  I found it helpful to know what the normal developmental stages were.

Observe my Son then see what we could help him progressive with.  

He is severely Autistic still but he still does small things for himself.  I'm Atypical Autistic with no learning difficulties.  We are both very different. No two people are effected the same with asd. 

Please submerge her into lots of different social situations.  

You will be helping her to cope better when she older.  Though a few adjustments maybe needed.. eg my Son used to have tantrums  I took the furniture out of the room & gave him no attention until he calmed down. Eventually the tantrums stopped.  I did put the furniture back !

He used to pull my hair & other peoples plus glasses.  I would take him away from the person or situation & tell him no.  Eventually he realised when he done these behaviours he would be taken away & told off. So stopped.

He isn't an archangel but his behaviour is more manageable..There is a book called what why when where who.  Good read.  Most helpful.

I feel you will find lots of help here.

Let us know how it's going.

Children
No Data