Hi

Hi everyone,

I'm parent to two children on the spectrum and am most likely on the spectrum myself as well.  I'm no stranger to autism as my daughter was diagnosed 8 years ago now, and my son was also diagnosed late last year.   After spending some time reading stories from those on the spectrum,  especially females,  I'm pretty sure that i'd qualify for a diagnosis as well. 

I'm a bit shy,  but happy to talk,  especially if anyone happens to share my interest in psychology,  which I'm currently doing a degree in.

I'm interested in plenty of other topics (just not fashion or traditional 'female' topics) so I'm looking forwards to being a part of this community.

Parents
  • Thank-you for the welcome Tom,  it's lovely to make your aquaintance too.

I became really interested in psychology for much the same reason as you, I've suffered from depression on and off since my late childhood/teens,  and after going through a really bad experience in my early 20s,  things just seemed really hopeless.  It got to the point that I couldn't see a way out, and it was do or die (literally).  So I chose to 'do',  and started studying psychology.  I didn't expect to find any answers from it,  I mostly just expected it to be something that I could study to possibly improve my future career prospects.

Along the way though,  I became fascinated in so much of what I read.  I learned so much about myself, and the people around me.   I also wandered off the course material a little way and found myself becoming intensely interested in personality disorders.  I personally fit really well with AvPD (avoidant PD) but autism/aspergers is a perfect fit and I'm pretty convinced that I'm on the spectrum.  It would certainly explain so much of why I've struggled so much all through my life, and why I've never felt like I fit anywhere. 

I'm different to everyone else around me,  I like people but they don't really understand me very well, and I don't share their views on a lot of subjects, so things are difficult, and I'm mostly solitary.

I've done the AQ test a couple of times over the last few years, and it came back with a score of 32.  Other tests show me as likely to be on the spectrum as well.

Do you have any specific area of psychology you're interested in, or is your interest a more rounded one?  I'm currently studying for an exam and I'm researching areas relating to memory and perception. 

• Thank-you for the welcome Tom,  it's lovely to make your aquaintance too.

I became really interested in psychology for much the same reason as you, I've suffered from depression on and off since my late childhood/teens,  and after going through a really bad experience in my early 20s,  things just seemed really hopeless.  It got to the point that I couldn't see a way out, and it was do or die (literally).  So I chose to 'do',  and started studying psychology.  I didn't expect to find any answers from it,  I mostly just expected it to be something that I could study to possibly improve my future career prospects.

Along the way though,  I became fascinated in so much of what I read.  I learned so much about myself, and the people around me.   I also wandered off the course material a little way and found myself becoming intensely interested in personality disorders.  I personally fit really well with AvPD (avoidant PD) but autism/aspergers is a perfect fit and I'm pretty convinced that I'm on the spectrum.  It would certainly explain so much of why I've struggled so much all through my life, and why I've never felt like I fit anywhere. 

I'm different to everyone else around me,  I like people but they don't really understand me very well, and I don't share their views on a lot of subjects, so things are difficult, and I'm mostly solitary.

I've done the AQ test a couple of times over the last few years, and it came back with a score of 32.  Other tests show me as likely to be on the spectrum as well.

Do you have any specific area of psychology you're interested in, or is your interest a more rounded one?  I'm currently studying for an exam and I'm researching areas relating to memory and perception. 

Children
No Data