Diagnosis

Hey everyone!

I am very new to this and was just wondering if i could recieve some advice about my son.

He is now 5 and we have a history of AS within the family (dads side) we have just moved to a new area and hes recently started a new school. So far it has been a struggle getting him to settle and make friends. Ive always seen traits of AS but it is definitley more evident the older he is getting.  What help is out there and is my first port of call a visit to his GP for an assessment?

Any advice or shared experiences is gretaly appreciated

Parents
  • You're more than welcome.

I did the GP route when I was concerned about my daughter, and I was a bit worried that I'd just get fobbed off as well but surprisingly,  the GP listened, asked a few questions and then did a referral.  Can't recall how long it took for the assessment appointment,  but they were really good once we were there.  They did some assessments of her in school, and a couple of assessments at the hospital and said that she met the criteria for autism. 

One tip that should help;  write down all your concerns into a list, and take the list with you so that you don't forget too much when you're in front of the GP. 

If he/she does fob you off,  ask to speak to another GP. 

• You're more than welcome.

I did the GP route when I was concerned about my daughter, and I was a bit worried that I'd just get fobbed off as well but surprisingly,  the GP listened, asked a few questions and then did a referral.  Can't recall how long it took for the assessment appointment,  but they were really good once we were there.  They did some assessments of her in school, and a couple of assessments at the hospital and said that she met the criteria for autism. 

One tip that should help;  write down all your concerns into a list, and take the list with you so that you don't forget too much when you're in front of the GP. 

If he/she does fob you off,  ask to speak to another GP. 

Children
No Data