Newby hello

Hi, just to introduce myself.

My son is 9 yrs old recently diagnosed Aspergers (local paeds still use the term!). He is in mainstream school but it's a small private school so in a class of 9. He is very bright but struggles with conformity for school. In state school he just wouldn't do the work and fell behind they just sent it home with him which led to huge meltdowns night after night.

New school are fab, SENCO is very supportive and drove the diagnosis process though we were all suprised by asd as thought they'd be a bit more hesitant and just review but very much fully diagnosed. Looking to get an EHCP as they have made a lot of adjustments to help but due to high school in 2 years so needs things in place in preparation for that.

Don't know if with diagnosis or with age but some issues are now becoming more prevolent. He's very anxious and has absolute fear of the house burning down and of dying in a fire - ironic as he is obsessed with emergency services and anything rescue related!!

Feeling quite isolated and still coming to terms with the long term implications of this but very positive for the future as I know he will do OK.

K