Clothing Issues

Hi,

I have just joined and am wanting to chat with other parents of an older child with Aspergers/ADHD, my son is currently 11 years old, who is having issues with clothing.

My son becomes anxious at the mere mention of having to get dressed..this issue is not only affecting clothes but shoes, glasses on the face and even bedding.

In his words, 'nothing ever feels right'.

Thanks.

Parents
  • Hi,

Thanks for you reply..its always to good to know your not alone.

My son's issues tend to be more about the movement of the clothes on his body, than anything else.  I can get the clothes on him whilst sitting down, and using distraction, but as soon as he gets up to move around, he becomes very angry and aggressive.

Despite not having a girl, my son can be like your daughter in some ways..we live in Scotland and when it snows, he will insist on only wearing pants and boots to go out in..I have learnt to accept who he is now, as its easier than arguing..I'm also reminded of being told so many times, 'choose your battles'!

• Hi,

Thanks for you reply..its always to good to know your not alone.

My son's issues tend to be more about the movement of the clothes on his body, than anything else.  I can get the clothes on him whilst sitting down, and using distraction, but as soon as he gets up to move around, he becomes very angry and aggressive.

Despite not having a girl, my son can be like your daughter in some ways..we live in Scotland and when it snows, he will insist on only wearing pants and boots to go out in..I have learnt to accept who he is now, as its easier than arguing..I'm also reminded of being told so many times, 'choose your battles'!

Children
No Data