10 year old girl - sudden potential ASD diagnosis - please anyone similar

Good morning

After a few months of high anxiety with our 10 year old girl - seemingly out of the blue - we have now been told she may have ASD. From nothing to a situation which has spiralled every day to the point that she didn't attend school for the last month, to problems sleeping, major meltdowns (one which ended up in A and E, bad idea on reflection but we were frightened!)...........how has this been masked for so long? We are in a terrible state as a family, walking on eggshells, life being put on hold as our daughter won't do a lot of things, a 7 year old boy who is petrified and despite CAMHS being involved have now been told everything will take months.............

Parents
  • I am so sorry to hear your story of your son. It sounds like you have had a very traumatic and isolating time as a family. We have good days and bad days and it is all a bit of a rollercoaster. Since I posted this, I have now called our regional CAMHS where our daughter has been referred to - they have taken all into account and have agreed to see our daughter next week for therapy. The therapist I spoke to things it is unlikely that it's ASD and more likely to be anxiety - generalised and anticipatory anxiety although there are seperation issues as well. Things have spiralled quickly so they believe time is critical and also believe that they need to intervene now and it may only be a short term intervention. she has settled better the last 2 nights in her room and not elsewhere as we were resorting to as she seemed agitated. Massage the last 2 nights has helped. Let's hope we can find a way of helping her manage this as soon as we can. Thank you xx

• I am so sorry to hear your story of your son. It sounds like you have had a very traumatic and isolating time as a family. We have good days and bad days and it is all a bit of a rollercoaster. Since I posted this, I have now called our regional CAMHS where our daughter has been referred to - they have taken all into account and have agreed to see our daughter next week for therapy. The therapist I spoke to things it is unlikely that it's ASD and more likely to be anxiety - generalised and anticipatory anxiety although there are seperation issues as well. Things have spiralled quickly so they believe time is critical and also believe that they need to intervene now and it may only be a short term intervention. she has settled better the last 2 nights in her room and not elsewhere as we were resorting to as she seemed agitated. Massage the last 2 nights has helped. Let's hope we can find a way of helping her manage this as soon as we can. Thank you xx

Children
No Data