Opinions please read

Hi my 8 year old son is currently on the waiting list to be seen by the asd team...he is high functioning he is extremely bright and intelligent..he got awards at the end of the school year for high test results and reading...however he struggles big time with his social and emotional wellbeing..he suffers with meltdowns most days..gets so wound up he will ask me to hit him and throw stuff at him..which I try to ignore...he will bang his head off things and even go as far as to say he wants 2 kill himself...it's so draining..he never wants 2 leave the house.if I have 2 go shopping and need 2 take the kids he will have a meltdown and cry and shout...I just don't know where to turn...7weeks ago we applied for dla based on the fact that he has got so progressively worse since the end of last summer..this past year has been so hard..urs not so much about personal care. Yes I have 2 ask him 10times a day to brush his teeth but it's more the constant supervision that I have 2 provide for him...

Dwp told me I should have a reply in a few more weeks..my anxiety tho is getting on top of me as I know any money we receive will b a great help to him...

What are people's opinions and any1 in my position...

Sorry 4 the long post...

• Is there anything that calms him? Watching TV or dvds? Listening to music?  Drawing? Playing computer games? Reading? Could you direct him towards a favourite activity when he is stressed? Perhaps you could try initiating a project for him to focus on about something he is interested in, like for example finding out facts about dinosaurs on the Internet, writing about them and drawing pictures in a scrapbook, etc. 

Does he get enough sleep? Can you get him to keep to a routine? 

Look at the thread on here under the "introduce yourself"  section about comics. On one of the recent posts the OP has put a link to an article about using home made comic strips to encourage Autistic twin boys to modify their behaviour, such as not cutting through wires or washing every day. Maybe that might work. You could get him to help with drawing images for the comic strips.

Good luck and all the best 

• not a long post at all, and I know since am bad at or good at long emails.

Sorry I can't be more helpful in that DWP aren't always so quick and i just hope you get the help you need and hope that Pips will cover that.  I failed my first time around Pips. I appealed but decided not to go to tribunal because couldn't find the form and got complicated. My job centre worker however told me to reapply for it. So if you don't get it this time, I strongly urge you to appeal and keep trying and trying.

But how to manage the anxiety of waiting for the answer... I wish I knew that answer as am about to have ESA medical and hope it goes better than the last time around which did get to tribunal and all the rest of it.

Why do you need to tell him ten times a day to brush his teeth? 

I would suggest pray but then i believe in God.  I don't know what else to suggest in dealing with your own anxiety.