Hello

Hello everyone, my name is Sabrina and I have Asperger's Syndrome.

I'm new to this forum, thought I'd give it a try after reading some discussions on here - everyone seems friendly which is nice.

I'm from south east London, currently looking for some general advice as I'm feeling a bit lost at the moment and am struggling with some simple everyday tasks. I was diagnosed pretty late (a month after my 18th birthday - and just months away before entering university; most people I know at my age were diagnosed when they were 2 or 5 years old).

I am now 20 and soon going on 21, I have just finished 2nd year at uni. I still feel like my brain hasn't developed to this mature/advanced stage that I am supposed to be at now. 

It would be nice to hear from others (even if it's just a hello!) and any advice/suggestions on how to seek general help and support would be grately appreciated!

Many thanks in advance 

Sab

• Hi Sab

I've gone through life not quite fitting in and wondering what the heck is wrong with the world...taking things very literally (is there any other way?) and I'm sometimes still like a teenager in my head.

Sometimes I thought I must be speaking Swahili because I would say things clearly and people would hear something completely differently. Something to do with body language, never could get the hang of that.

Having the diagnosis does not change who we are but it helps to provide an explanation as to why the world seems sometimes like an alien place.

I've worked in IT my whole career as computers are easy for me. People on the other hand...a mystery.

Paul

• Hi Paul,

Yeah, guess I can't compare to 52! How are you doing?

When I said 'late', I meant I was the last/latest to be diagnosed amongst other friends who have Asperger's ( there's a whole bunch of us at my university - about 15 maybe) and they all had their diagnosis when they were like toddlers - strange. Actually a couple of girls had their diagnosis quite 'late' too - around 14-16.

Anyway, thank you for saying Hi -glad Im part of the online community now. I should have joined much earlier!

Sab

• Hi Sabrina

Late diagnosis? Try 52!

Welcome aboard.

Paul