Awaiting an ASD assessment

Hi,

My son is on the waiting list for an ASD assessment which came to light after some development reviews. we first went to seek help as my son wasn't self feeding, walked late at two and didnt talk until he was two and if it wasnt for the local childrens centre I am not sure we would be where we are now.

The word autism was last said to me last summer and fast forward a year and at the development assessment and they officially said they want him to be assessed. It wasa big step for my husband to attend the last development review but I needed him to hear what the paediatrician was going to say...Its an acceptance thing I suppose that things are different or quirky but my darling son is still my darling son.

I have had highs and lows and waves of emotion.

We did attend a meeting last week to sign up for the early birds and we are trying to stay positive but all i want to do is cry really. 

Are other parents starting this journey? 

Thanks

Parents
  • Hi.

We heard those words is april. Since then it's been a roller coaster of emotions - some so bad you darent say them out loud for fear of people thinking your am awful parent. However having spoken to a few people now the way it was put to me is "your grieving for the child you thought you were going to have" and all emotions, both positive and negative are part of that process. Doesn't mean you'd change your child, doesn't mean you don't love them. It's a mix of grieving, fear of the unknown and the future.

If it makes you feel better I knew. I knew the signs and despite this I broke down when the words were said. Two months later and I'm a basket case everywhere day but hey, that's progress from the first two weeks when I lived in my pjs and didn't leave the house!

So your not alone. Cry, shout, eat crap and watch Bridget Jones on repeat. Someone somewhere is doing the exact same thing! X

• Hi.

We heard those words is april. Since then it's been a roller coaster of emotions - some so bad you darent say them out loud for fear of people thinking your am awful parent. However having spoken to a few people now the way it was put to me is "your grieving for the child you thought you were going to have" and all emotions, both positive and negative are part of that process. Doesn't mean you'd change your child, doesn't mean you don't love them. It's a mix of grieving, fear of the unknown and the future.

If it makes you feel better I knew. I knew the signs and despite this I broke down when the words were said. Two months later and I'm a basket case everywhere day but hey, that's progress from the first two weeks when I lived in my pjs and didn't leave the house!

So your not alone. Cry, shout, eat crap and watch Bridget Jones on repeat. Someone somewhere is doing the exact same thing! X

Children
No Data