17 year old son finally diagnosed with Autism! But now what??

Hi, my son has finally been diagnosed with Autism at aged 17 ! I knew it all along and finally someone listened. 

Now we have the diagnosis , what happens now? Would like to get him involved with others like himself, so that he is not so isolated. Not sure where to go or who to contact? 

Any advice, greatly apreciated.

Thank you

Parents
  • He does find social interaction very very difficult, this is not helped by the fact he has a stammer as well ! He has no friends and is with me all the time after school., as he cannot go out alone because he also has learning difficulties and no road sense ect.. ! He does get lonely and bored, i try my best to take him out as much as i can but i also have a 2 year old and a 1 year old at home and they take all my time and attention! 

Someone mentioned a thing called direct payments, where i could get help in maybe paying someone to take him out.. have you heard of this?

• He does find social interaction very very difficult, this is not helped by the fact he has a stammer as well ! He has no friends and is with me all the time after school., as he cannot go out alone because he also has learning difficulties and no road sense ect.. ! He does get lonely and bored, i try my best to take him out as much as i can but i also have a 2 year old and a 1 year old at home and they take all my time and attention! 

Someone mentioned a thing called direct payments, where i could get help in maybe paying someone to take him out.. have you heard of this?

Children
No Data