Hello

My name is Bart and I'm the father of a three year old autistic and nonverbal boy. Since he is the first and only child of my wife and I, and there is no history of autism or any sort of verbal difficulties in either of our families, his autism has shocked me immensely. 

I'm hoping to meet some fellow parents who can offer me some helpful advice!

Parents
  • Hey im Megan we have just been told also our son has Autism our son says a handful of single words but thats all our son also first child  for my husband and i its very hard coming to terms with it theres so much support and its all about making things easier for your son there are cards i use with my son that are image based to help them communicate so getting them to express using the images and we have a morning routine chart and evening one also image based to try and get him to understand what we want him to do eg. Brushing teeth/ washing face as our son doesnt understand verbal instructions he doesnt absorbed it and very very poor eye contact. sensory toys help and also flash cards but also doing activities in small doses. Try Makiton theres lots on the net with how to do it my son also uses that its signing and can help when they need something so they can let you know their hungry or if they want a drink.

Hope some of the suggestions help!

• Hey im Megan we have just been told also our son has Autism our son says a handful of single words but thats all our son also first child  for my husband and i its very hard coming to terms with it theres so much support and its all about making things easier for your son there are cards i use with my son that are image based to help them communicate so getting them to express using the images and we have a morning routine chart and evening one also image based to try and get him to understand what we want him to do eg. Brushing teeth/ washing face as our son doesnt understand verbal instructions he doesnt absorbed it and very very poor eye contact. sensory toys help and also flash cards but also doing activities in small doses. Try Makiton theres lots on the net with how to do it my son also uses that its signing and can help when they need something so they can let you know their hungry or if they want a drink.

Hope some of the suggestions help!

Children
No Data