Hello All

Hi All, My name is Paul and im 45, I have had an assessment for ASD in which i was told the score was high and i had the condition (ASD). Which answers a lot of questions for me, it actually helps me put alot of my life into perspective and understand myself. The biggest problem i have is actually getting a diagnosis, It seems a big taboo for adults to get anywhere with this, lack of funding etc, so im led to belive.                                      I have joined this site in the hope that i can not be a unique 45 year man out of the whole country who has just discovered they have ASD and find any help/support that is out there. For me, all this has come to light as i am also suffering with depression and the help i have recieved with that has led me to this.

As the subject line says : "Hello All" i look forward to being part of the community.

Parents
  • Hi Paul,

I'm a 31 year old female and I'm 6 weeks into a shiny new diagnosis of High Functioning Autism. I feel your pain regarding lack of support/material for adults, and believe me looking for something relating to HFA females is like looking for a unicorn!!

I'm finding that the more I talk to people on these forums I am getting far more than what I would gett from any scholarly article written by someone who has studied autism but may not actually be living with it (a bit like Thomas Nagel's paper 'What's It Like To Be A Bat?'...you can't know unless you are one!!) Anyway I am personally finding it greatly reassuring just knowing that I'm not alone in all this and that other people are going through the same (or similar) things to me.

So hello and welcome to the forum! :)

• Hi Paul,

I'm a 31 year old female and I'm 6 weeks into a shiny new diagnosis of High Functioning Autism. I feel your pain regarding lack of support/material for adults, and believe me looking for something relating to HFA females is like looking for a unicorn!!

I'm finding that the more I talk to people on these forums I am getting far more than what I would gett from any scholarly article written by someone who has studied autism but may not actually be living with it (a bit like Thomas Nagel's paper 'What's It Like To Be A Bat?'...you can't know unless you are one!!) Anyway I am personally finding it greatly reassuring just knowing that I'm not alone in all this and that other people are going through the same (or similar) things to me.

So hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Children
No Data