Im a newbie! be gentle:D

Hi there, this is my 1st post ... my 10 yr old son had his pediatricain appt on monday, and we finally after many years of constant waiting and being patient... got a diagnosis! 

ODD, ASD and ADHD... which is of mixed emotions.... thankful that we finally know exactly what we are dealing with and how best to actually give him the help and support he needs..... 

But now im sad, confused and just stressed as I never thought we would get here! I dont have a clue what im supposed to be doing now, what if anything else needs to be done!?  At least whilst we was on the game of being patient, there was a goal.... i never thought to think about life after reaching the goal!! 

Any advice in any form would be gratefully recieved! 

Have a good day and Happy easter x

Parents
  • Welcome Sharpem.

Good advice there from RecombinantSocks.  Even as an adult getting my diagnosis, I felt the same kind of "Well, now what?" feeling at first.  Getting an evaluation and diagnosis can be so frustrating and drawn out that it becomes an all-consuming goal in its own right for many people, both parents and autistic people themselves.

Do you have a point of contact at your son's school, or an assessment of how his conditions might affect his education?  That is a very important area to consider, as the right assistance at school can really help autistic people to make the most of their talents, and can make the transition to adulthood so much more comfortable.

And do try to take your time to understand everything.  It can be a huge amount of information to take in, and can bring up some difficult emotions - it is fine to "pace yourself" so that you don't become overwhelmed by it all.  In trying to do your best for your son, try not to forget that your own mental well-being is important too, for both you and your family - be kind to yourself.

Best wishes.

• Welcome Sharpem.

Good advice there from RecombinantSocks.  Even as an adult getting my diagnosis, I felt the same kind of "Well, now what?" feeling at first.  Getting an evaluation and diagnosis can be so frustrating and drawn out that it becomes an all-consuming goal in its own right for many people, both parents and autistic people themselves.

Do you have a point of contact at your son's school, or an assessment of how his conditions might affect his education?  That is a very important area to consider, as the right assistance at school can really help autistic people to make the most of their talents, and can make the transition to adulthood so much more comfortable.

And do try to take your time to understand everything.  It can be a huge amount of information to take in, and can bring up some difficult emotions - it is fine to "pace yourself" so that you don't become overwhelmed by it all.  In trying to do your best for your son, try not to forget that your own mental well-being is important too, for both you and your family - be kind to yourself.

Best wishes.

Children
No Data