Im a newbie! be gentle:D

Hi there, this is my 1st post ... my 10 yr old son had his pediatricain appt on monday, and we finally after many years of constant waiting and being patient... got a diagnosis! 

ODD, ASD and ADHD... which is of mixed emotions.... thankful that we finally know exactly what we are dealing with and how best to actually give him the help and support he needs..... 

But now im sad, confused and just stressed as I never thought we would get here! I dont have a clue what im supposed to be doing now, what if anything else needs to be done!?  At least whilst we was on the game of being patient, there was a goal.... i never thought to think about life after reaching the goal!! 

Any advice in any form would be gratefully recieved! 

Have a good day and Happy easter x

Parents
  • Welcome to the community!

The main thing he needs from you is your support and for you to work with his tendencies rather than trying to correct them and fix him. He is the same as he was before diagnosis and needs just as much love and attention as you can give.

There are courses for parents of younger children (Earlybird and Earlybird plus) I'm not sure what you might expect at his age but there are techniques to be applied to make his life better. Keeping calm and being unreasonably reasonable and fair are good things to do. There is lots of stuff to read on this website but you can also post here on the forum with any questions you have. 

Having autism is not a disaster - I was diagnosed at 56 and have had problems but have also had many successes.

• Welcome to the community!

The main thing he needs from you is your support and for you to work with his tendencies rather than trying to correct them and fix him. He is the same as he was before diagnosis and needs just as much love and attention as you can give.

There are courses for parents of younger children (Earlybird and Earlybird plus) I'm not sure what you might expect at his age but there are techniques to be applied to make his life better. Keeping calm and being unreasonably reasonable and fair are good things to do. There is lots of stuff to read on this website but you can also post here on the forum with any questions you have. 

Having autism is not a disaster - I was diagnosed at 56 and have had problems but have also had many successes.

Children
No Data