First time and looking for advice

Hi All,

I am thinking I should have joined ages ago, but better late than never!

I have 2 children, dd is 20 and ds is 18. My son was diagnosed high functioning autistic when he was 4 after 2 years of tests. He had 3 years of speech thearpy and had assistance through school.

The last year has been stressful with my son. He is struggling to get a job, is not motivated at all. He did have a little part time job but was not kept on due to his lack of social skills and not having a rapport with customers.

His dad is really frustrated and cannot understand at all, he thinks our son is just lazy.

Myself and my husband work long hours and our daughter has worked full time since the age of 16 and has put herself through her driving test now has a car and very independant. I am questioning myself and I just do not know what to do.

The other main issue is how he deals with going to the loo for a no 2.

The smell and sight makes him heave and this often culminates in a lot of smearing in the loo and on seat. He also doesn't clean himself properly and when he puts his boxers in the wash they are smeared and I have had to throw so many away.

Any advice would be great,

Thanks.

• Hi all 

My 3 years old just diagnosed with autism. However, I am looking to have some further tests. Before autism he was very active and very social. He was learning alphabets and counting very well. He was able to name various colours and knew many single words. His speech was good for his age, alothugh single words, and was able to tell me and my wife if wants something by name. But then he first lost eye contact and gradually started to sit and play alone and not interacting with others. 

I need advice how to deal with an autistic child in daily life. What problems we may have to face and how to get through with these. 

Thanks