hello everyone

I just thought I'd say hello to everyone. I'm not exactly all that good with the new lap top at the moment, so I hope I'm doing this the right way. I've just been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder level 1. - I'm a 55 year old woman, so better late than never! I also at times suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder, body dysmorphic disorder, anxiety and depression, but I'm getting a little bit of help for my mental health through my local IAPTs. I think I have a positive outlook for my autism diagnosis, but I'm going to have to work on my low self esteem. For now, it's just good to say hello!

Parents
  • Welcome Jaz,

I'm starting to find that knowing my diagnosis (a few weeks ago, at 45) has really helped me to see some light at the end of the tunnel where anxiety, depression and low self-esteem are concerned.  You a certainly not alone - in the few weeks that I've been meeting other autistic people through forums like this, I've discovered that anxiety and depression are very commonplace.

But I've also now had a few weeks where every day, I have "Eureka" moments where I find someone else describing some kind of experience that I had once thought I was alone in having.  And I can now pick apart which of my traits are due to mental illness, and which are innate parts of my brain's wiring, so can describe the help I need more clearly to my doctor etc.

I hope you'll find the same! Best wishes.

• Welcome Jaz,

I'm starting to find that knowing my diagnosis (a few weeks ago, at 45) has really helped me to see some light at the end of the tunnel where anxiety, depression and low self-esteem are concerned.  You a certainly not alone - in the few weeks that I've been meeting other autistic people through forums like this, I've discovered that anxiety and depression are very commonplace.

But I've also now had a few weeks where every day, I have "Eureka" moments where I find someone else describing some kind of experience that I had once thought I was alone in having.  And I can now pick apart which of my traits are due to mental illness, and which are innate parts of my brain's wiring, so can describe the help I need more clearly to my doctor etc.

I hope you'll find the same! Best wishes.

Children
No Data