Officially Diagnosed

Hi, I am a 28yr old mom to a 2 yr old boy. He is just beautiful..exhausting...but very beautiful. Since about 1.5yo, I had feelings that there was something different about him. We have only had private sitters since his dad and I both work full time and he did not do well at all in the daycare setting. Long story short, I researched autism and he fell under every category, by my opinion of course. We immediately began working with the program through the school but its very limited. A special education teacher comes out to our home twice a month and a behavior analyst once a month but they are unable to diagnose. Today we finally had our development appointment with the physican at the developement center at the childrens hospital and our son was diagnosed with Autism. 

Many Many Emotions were felt today. Even though you speculate, having a health care professional confirm is a whole other feeling. 

I am here on this forum because Its a start. I am not very educated about ASD and I would like to hear from other people who have similar experiences. The meltdowns, the aggressiveness, being unsure if youll be able to complete tasks in public, no speech etc. 

Parents
  • Hi TysMom,

Welcome to the community. There are plenty of people in your position with lots of experience and advice to share. The community has members from right across the spectrum from people who are severely disabled to others who are not disabled by autism and for whom autism is a label of their psychological type. I hope we can help you to see how your son's autism can be regarded as an understandable part of who he is rather than thinking of it as an illness or disorder that can be treated and fixed.

It might help if you tell us a bit about your son, what he does, what he struggles with so that we can give the best advice. Also, how do you currently think his autism will affect him and his life, what does autism mean to you? I would also encourage you to look at (and complete your own) community profile as it can be useful to look at how people have arrived in the forum before jumping in with advice or reacting to someone else with a post that might not be appropriate for the individual.

(The website is a bit old and cranky so you have to be very patient and avoid submitting twice!)

• Hi TysMom,

Welcome to the community. There are plenty of people in your position with lots of experience and advice to share. The community has members from right across the spectrum from people who are severely disabled to others who are not disabled by autism and for whom autism is a label of their psychological type. I hope we can help you to see how your son's autism can be regarded as an understandable part of who he is rather than thinking of it as an illness or disorder that can be treated and fixed.

It might help if you tell us a bit about your son, what he does, what he struggles with so that we can give the best advice. Also, how do you currently think his autism will affect him and his life, what does autism mean to you? I would also encourage you to look at (and complete your own) community profile as it can be useful to look at how people have arrived in the forum before jumping in with advice or reacting to someone else with a post that might not be appropriate for the individual.

(The website is a bit old and cranky so you have to be very patient and avoid submitting twice!)

Children
No Data