Newly diagnosed

Hi I was told two days ago that I am on the autistic spectrum. Friday night my head just felt like I was in a drunk state.but because I have a problem identifying my feelings im not sure how I'm currently feeling but also how I'm meant to be feeling.:'( 

Parents
  • Getting diagnosed is worthy of congratulations, which might seem strange, but it does help you understand the real you. it will be a shock at first.

There is a great deal written about autism, granted not all of it good, or easy to read, or directly helpful, but there are useful books and these include autobiographical accounts, including those diagnosed as adults.

So it isn't a wilderness, there are reference points to hang on to. Just go with the swirl of conflicting thoughts for the moment. and feel free to assk community members anything that puzzles you.

Have they allocated you any counselling sessions? They should do to help you get your head round it all. But if not talk things through on here.

There is a book around that might help - "Coming out Asperger - diagnosis, disclosure and self-confidence" edited by Dinah Murray (Jessica Kingsley Publishers 2006) ISBN 13: 978 1 84310 240 3    or 10:  1 84310 240 4  (one may be for paperback) - show these numbers to a librarian or bookshop to help you find it. It is ten years old but has useful articles by people with understanding

• Getting diagnosed is worthy of congratulations, which might seem strange, but it does help you understand the real you. it will be a shock at first.

There is a great deal written about autism, granted not all of it good, or easy to read, or directly helpful, but there are useful books and these include autobiographical accounts, including those diagnosed as adults.

So it isn't a wilderness, there are reference points to hang on to. Just go with the swirl of conflicting thoughts for the moment. and feel free to assk community members anything that puzzles you.

Have they allocated you any counselling sessions? They should do to help you get your head round it all. But if not talk things through on here.

There is a book around that might help - "Coming out Asperger - diagnosis, disclosure and self-confidence" edited by Dinah Murray (Jessica Kingsley Publishers 2006) ISBN 13: 978 1 84310 240 3    or 10:  1 84310 240 4  (one may be for paperback) - show these numbers to a librarian or bookshop to help you find it. It is ten years old but has useful articles by people with understanding

Children
No Data