Looking for some help?

Hi,

I am a student journalist at Nottingham Trent University. For my final year dissertation, I am doing a study and feature on autism and whether mainstream education caters for people on the spectrum.

I have two cousins with forms of autism so the subject is very close to my heart and something I feel does not get the coverage and exposure it should. 

While I know there are many successful autism-only schools up and down the country, I am also aware of instances where mainstream schools have been unable to provide the children with the education they require.

Just wondering whether anybody on here has any stories of where their children have struggled at a regular school and why it was the case. Are teachers trained to deal with people on the spectrum or is it more the child struggles?

It would be of great help to me, if anybody that had suffered seriously with this subject in mind would chat with me briefly about their experience with mainstream education, or even on a lighter note a success story r.e. an autism-only school.

I look forward to speaking to some of you.

Cheers. 

Matt Ball

Parents
  • Firstly, I could personally guarantee that anyone that wished to remain nameless, would be so in any published work I produce.

I don't think it is fair to assume something of me just because you may have received 'bad press' from other Trent students in the past.

I can understand if you aren't comfortable sharing with a complete stranger, especially one that is only 21 years old but all I was trying to do is add to my research.

I am not looking for quotes, I was merely looking for something that may aid my study.

It isn't the most ethical way of doing things, you are completely right in that respect but this is a large group of people with a personal interest in my subject, it would be silly not to try and widen my research through here.

Notice I have given the power to the community users rather than trying to message people directly.

And FYI, I did seek approval from the NAS first and they said it was fine to advertise my research on here.

• Firstly, I could personally guarantee that anyone that wished to remain nameless, would be so in any published work I produce.

I don't think it is fair to assume something of me just because you may have received 'bad press' from other Trent students in the past.

I can understand if you aren't comfortable sharing with a complete stranger, especially one that is only 21 years old but all I was trying to do is add to my research.

I am not looking for quotes, I was merely looking for something that may aid my study.

It isn't the most ethical way of doing things, you are completely right in that respect but this is a large group of people with a personal interest in my subject, it would be silly not to try and widen my research through here.

Notice I have given the power to the community users rather than trying to message people directly.

And FYI, I did seek approval from the NAS first and they said it was fine to advertise my research on here.

Children
No Data