Hi Just Getting To Know People

Hi I'm Matthew just thought I'd sign up to this because I don't talk too to many people hence my poor converation skills lol and people like myself seem to have the same problem so I thought I might aswell join the cool crowd.

Anyway just a bit I'm a 22 year old male been diagnosed with Autism (A mild form) since I was too young to remember and I have your typical difficulties so here it goes what are your struggles and advantages of having autism? 

What are your hobbies? and tell me whatever about yourself really? Look forward to hearing from people :)

Parents
  • Hi Mathew,

Welcome, I have been diagnosed later at 49. I am just coming to grips with how Aspergers has been affecting me all my life. I think top of the list of struggles I experience is the Anxiety & Depression. Not too bothered about social problems, but I have not been able to build friendships and relationships, and the loss of close family support and time with friends is very difficult. Living in general is very hard these days living alone, I am very comfortable in my own company. Not sure this is to do with aspergers, but I have intense fear of germs and contamination, and difficulties in Supermarkets, and loud social places.

I work as a web site developer, and excel at that work because of my aspergers. I am also proud of my odd uncool obsessions which I feel are far more meaningful than some peers at work obsessed with just going out to get smashed at any excuse, or the intense fascination with celebreties. I hate all the backchat and "bitching" conversations at work, and proud I am not wired like that.

My hobbies and obsessions are very varied. I was very obsessed with sci-fi mainly star wars and aliens, particularly the art and design of those. That followed in to space history, I have met a number of apollo / gemini / mercury / russian astronauts. More recently I have got in music, dabbled with playing guitar and keyboards, but mainly going to music gigs, and updating my stereo at home. Collecting things, have star wars stuff, space artefacts, model kits, lego, old home computers. I don't discuss it at all, its all very uncool in the NT world.  

• Hi Mathew,

Welcome, I have been diagnosed later at 49. I am just coming to grips with how Aspergers has been affecting me all my life. I think top of the list of struggles I experience is the Anxiety & Depression. Not too bothered about social problems, but I have not been able to build friendships and relationships, and the loss of close family support and time with friends is very difficult. Living in general is very hard these days living alone, I am very comfortable in my own company. Not sure this is to do with aspergers, but I have intense fear of germs and contamination, and difficulties in Supermarkets, and loud social places.

I work as a web site developer, and excel at that work because of my aspergers. I am also proud of my odd uncool obsessions which I feel are far more meaningful than some peers at work obsessed with just going out to get smashed at any excuse, or the intense fascination with celebreties. I hate all the backchat and "bitching" conversations at work, and proud I am not wired like that.

My hobbies and obsessions are very varied. I was very obsessed with sci-fi mainly star wars and aliens, particularly the art and design of those. That followed in to space history, I have met a number of apollo / gemini / mercury / russian astronauts. More recently I have got in music, dabbled with playing guitar and keyboards, but mainly going to music gigs, and updating my stereo at home. Collecting things, have star wars stuff, space artefacts, model kits, lego, old home computers. I don't discuss it at all, its all very uncool in the NT world.  

Children
No Data