Autism is not a tragedy, ignorance is!!

Hi all!!

I currently writing my final year dissertation in Psychology, and as part of this I am conducting some research regarding the psychological stress in caregivers/families of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). I was wondering if there are any parents/family or you know of anyone who care for someone with ASD would like to take part in the study?

If so, please find the linked attached below.. 

Please note that your participation in this study is entirely voluntary. It is up to you to decide whether or not you would like to take part.

[removed by mod]

• I don't know if the Mods will allow me to explore this avenue, but I did wonder if this student posting was a second attempt by the same student who posted earlier in the weekend, and was promptly deleted.

The earlier one disclosed university as well as subject, which I'm not allowed to specify. I was interested to look this up and encountered the strangest thing. I wonder if the Mods would accommodate observations on how some universities are thinking about autism research when such postings arise.

This particular university has a programme up and running "Can films give us a real insight into human psychology?". On 12th November the showed "Rain Man".

Commenting the course leader said: "it played a significant role in providing the general public with an insight into the nature of certain behavioural manifestations  of Autistic Spectrum Disorder, along with savant sight. Films are a great place to start discuission about human psychology".

I doubt if many on the autistic spectrum would warm to that view of Rain Man.

Is this what universities are teaching students about autism?  Do we have a say?

• Hi MOH,

I've replied to you in another post so in case you haven't received it, we would advise you to go through Research Autism with your research request.

Thanks,

Sofie Mod

• Hi MOH,

Unfortunately, requests like this are against the rules of the forum. There are regular requests such as yours (you're not alone) and the reasons for the rules are sometimes discussed in considerable depth. You might benefit from reading this recent thread community.autism.org.uk/.../idea to understand the issues and emotions involved.