Recently Assessed

Hi

I was very nearly 50 and with another failed relationship (lack of emotion, empathy etc etc...) a lt of research and manning up I went to my GP, fantastic help.  I have been assessed and waiting a diagnosis, I know the result!  I have also found some great books and am amending my lifestyle and coping techniques. 

The future seems brighter than it has for decades

• Hello Ian_Harrogate

If you have the same positive reaction to a diagnosis as many of us in this community have, you will find it an enlightening experience! It sounds as though you are already there...

Welcome

• Hi, and welcome.

It's a funny thing - you struggle all your life, everything seems to keep going wrong, you don;'t understand what's going on, and then suddenly someone jumps into your life and explains everything. Wierd.

Other people have posted various descriptions of this event, my favourite is, I think, the feeling of being 'born' again, although I tend to think of it as being freed from an invisible prison. When I got my diagnosis, I was stunned and dizzy with it, it was overwhelmingly sad that I'd spent my entire life trying to make sense of why people misjudged and mistreated me, yet I joined this community and finaly found my family.

I could cry with sadness for my wasted life, but really I'm just so grateful to finally know who I am, and where my community is, and people on here are great and don't give me s**t for being who I am (although I'm still learning who I am!) or for the things I express and the way that I express them.

It's a revelation for me, and I so hope that it will be the same for you. Evereyone on here will 'get' you - no explanations required. It''s so comforting and comfortable.

Welcome to the family

• Welcome to the tribe!

If you feel able do share any coping techniques that work, we can share ours and all learn something!

• So glad to hear this, Ian! I can imagine the weight that has been lifted for you, and I hope you manage to move forward now more positively!

Welcome to the site!