Parent/Carer

Hi as you can see I'm a Parent/Carer my son is 26 and just today been diagnosed with having Atypical Autism feeling emotionally overwhelmed needing to know I'm not alone.  After years of knowing there was something more than a miss diagnosis of ADHD and fighting the authorities twice to keep him out of a bahavioural unit when he was younger. Going through my own nervous breakdown as well as my son having one which led him to not be able to cope in college and dropping out and that's only a short version of what the family were put through.

Why is it people have to go through so much anguish to get the right diagnosis or help, although we now have the right diagnosis I have no clue where to go with it from here, of course I'm relieved to finally get some understanding that the diagnosis will provide but  feel deprived of what the right diagnosis would have meant to help my son when he was going through the school system.

I guess we can only move forward with this, any advice on how to move forward would be gratefully appreciated