Another new one!

Hi everyone!

Searched for a forum and found this! Just a small backstory, my name is Jenna, I'm 22 and currently live with my mum, sister and my 15 yr old autistic brother.

Life right now is extremely difficult. We are at a point in our lives where we have been trying to get my brother help, respite for us, even considering shared foster care.

Social services have been ok, we called them in, but they are not great. My mum and I are at times suicidal because of the Autism and we care for him 24/7. The story of my father is long, but essentially he left, wouldn't take care of his son as discussed between parents, then accused my mum holding my brother from him, which was a lie. Took her to court, saw his son for a few hours once a week. He then stopped, then after drastic measures, took him a few days a week. He has now stopped that and wants nothing to do with us or his son.

We had been put down for shared foster care as we are in desperate need of some form of respite. We were then informed that it wouldn't be happening and my mum is livid. Social services knows the dire need we need the weekend respite, and just will not help.

I hope I can meet those who understand here, and will not judge. Hope to go into depth at a later date too.

• Hi gosasha,

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry that yourself and your mother are struggling to get much needed support at the moment. The NAS are always here to support people and we have a helpline that you can phone or email if you need some help http://www.autism.org.uk/our-services/advice-and-information-services/autism-helpline/how-to-contact-us.aspx Also, if you or your mother have any suicidal feelings please don't hesitate to contact your GP, phone 111 or go to your A&E department for immediate support. The Samaritans also have a helpline and email facility on their website if you would like to speak to someone http://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/contact-us I hope this helps in some way but if you have any concerns please don't hesitate to contact us.

• Hi, it must have been awful for you when the offer of the foster care was withdrawn.  My guess is they thought they cd afford it then realised they couldn't because of local government cuts.  They are relying on your goodwill but as you say, things are desperate.   I for one certainly won't judge you.  Life can be so v difficult.  I think you've got to keep pushing, even though that sounds tough.  They will hope you'll "go away" or at least persevere longer than you need to.  This situation cannot be good for anyone in your family.  Also, contacting your mp for an appointment + also checking out your council's website for the name of the councillor who is Chair of Adult social services + speaking or emailing them might be useful.