I wonder if you can help

Hi all thank you for reading my post I  have a sister who is in her 40's who was diagnosed as under active thyroids at an early age. She has lived all her adult life taking tyroxine to counter this but I think she may have some other disorder?? we have another member of our family with severe autism and do wonder if she may had a form of this disorder her temper is atrocious and she does not communicate well with close family she tends to keep her emotions to her self until she has a drink which is when all hell lets loose and it dosent take a lot to get there literally two maybe three drinks she sounds slurred then when we tell her to stop we get agro then when she continues and has a few too much then ensues the panic attacks the verbal abuse and the physical attacks but it is not just a drink problem at least i don't think so.I have seen many people drunk before as i used to work in a pub and my sisters behaviour is not normal its border line Psychotic and im not exagerating. Every time i try to talk to her she thinks i am running her down or not being supportive but i am genuinely worried Any advice please And please don't just say stop drinking i think its deeper than that and drink just lets it out.

Parents
  • Hi,

I don't know much about tyroxine and drinking. Could this be having the effect on her behaviour?

I'm cautious here because I have just read a book on 'drinking to Cope' (By Sarah Hendrickx), which is about Aspies experiences with drink and how it's often used to turn the volume down for some on the spectrum. This in turn can lead to excess consumption of Alcohol.

You have not mentioned anything else more specific, which leads you to think she may be on the spectrum and it's not for me to speculate on this, as I'm no professional, but although it's possible she does have social comminication difficulties, the behaviour you describe could be equally atributed to a number of other conditions. Has she sought any other professional support?

The problem you have is that her behaviour is clearly affecting others, but without her willingness to accept this or seek help, it makes supporting her extremely difficult.

Do other family members share your concerns and are they able to convince her to seek some advice?

Cx

• Hi,

I don't know much about tyroxine and drinking. Could this be having the effect on her behaviour?

I'm cautious here because I have just read a book on 'drinking to Cope' (By Sarah Hendrickx), which is about Aspies experiences with drink and how it's often used to turn the volume down for some on the spectrum. This in turn can lead to excess consumption of Alcohol.

You have not mentioned anything else more specific, which leads you to think she may be on the spectrum and it's not for me to speculate on this, as I'm no professional, but although it's possible she does have social comminication difficulties, the behaviour you describe could be equally atributed to a number of other conditions. Has she sought any other professional support?

The problem you have is that her behaviour is clearly affecting others, but without her willingness to accept this or seek help, it makes supporting her extremely difficult.

Do other family members share your concerns and are they able to convince her to seek some advice?

Cx

Children
No Data