Hello

i am Emma. my 7 year old son was diagnosed with dyspraxia and sensory difficulties with autistic traits last autumn. 2 weeks ago, his twin sister was diagnosed with autism, which was a shock. I think my son needs another assessment as the obsessions are taking over his life. My daughter has just had an EHCP refused so I am trying to appeal. They are both in mainstream and broadly age appropriate in learning but my boy is very poor at Maths and time and spelling. My girl is able but not able to join in. She spends a lot of time avoiding demands by reading In school. She has the occasional meltdown about unfairness. I am not sure how a forum like this works. 

Forgot to say. I am also a special needs teacher and have been working in a resource Of children with autism since before all the diagnoses happened. Not sure this has made it easier for me or not. 

Parents
  • Welcome, this forum is fairly new to me too but I try and help others as my son is now adult and if I can help anybody avoid the nightmare we have been through negotiating with the authorities then I will.  My son has Dys.. and ASD with sensory difficulties too, are you worried that your son has been underdiagnosed? Who diagnosed him? I was in a similar position when my son was diagnosed at first with Dyspraxia I knew it wasn,t the full picture and fought to get another referral which I actually had to take him to another county.  Actually I still dont think I,ve got the full picture now, but theres only so many assessments you can put somebody through.  Probably the most constructive help he had was through CAMHS and the best thing that ever happened to him [I am really sorry to say] was leaving school as he has improved immeasurably since.  He could not cope with school was always an outsider was bullied and the stress caused by a very unyielding Education system nearly sent us both over the edge.  Having two children with special needs must be very hard so get all the help you can.  Good Luck

• Welcome, this forum is fairly new to me too but I try and help others as my son is now adult and if I can help anybody avoid the nightmare we have been through negotiating with the authorities then I will.  My son has Dys.. and ASD with sensory difficulties too, are you worried that your son has been underdiagnosed? Who diagnosed him? I was in a similar position when my son was diagnosed at first with Dyspraxia I knew it wasn,t the full picture and fought to get another referral which I actually had to take him to another county.  Actually I still dont think I,ve got the full picture now, but theres only so many assessments you can put somebody through.  Probably the most constructive help he had was through CAMHS and the best thing that ever happened to him [I am really sorry to say] was leaving school as he has improved immeasurably since.  He could not cope with school was always an outsider was bullied and the stress caused by a very unyielding Education system nearly sent us both over the edge.  Having two children with special needs must be very hard so get all the help you can.  Good Luck

Children
No Data