New Member :)

Hello there,

I was told by a dr on friday that my 4 year old son has Autism which i kind of knew have done so since he was about 18 months i thought he could have it.My partner thinks he is fine nothing wrong so no support there.Thought i would search for a group for support and any info i can get.I have been put on a waiting list for courses the dr said to go on which i cant wait to learn about how my son is and to understand him more.I hear there is lots of help out there and this site is fantastic to someone like myself who has no clue with things even reading i can get DLA to help my son and family fund etc one quistion i would like to ask if anyone knows do i inform the housing about my son as we are are a waiting list for a bigger home as at mo in a 2 bed tiny flat and my son has no bedroom as i have a 15 year old daughter.thank you

• Hello :) Thannk you so much for your message,I have informed housing regarding my son's autism they said they have updated my records but i will still send in his dr report a copy of it even tho i was not asked for it! :/ We are at the moment in band B which i hear is good i think band A is for homeless people only could be wrong! my son needs a bedroom so badley to have his quite time at the moment in the day he goes in his sisters room when she is out or my bedroom.such a tiny flat he needs room we all do lol.Thanks again xx

• Hey,

I'm new here too :)

With regards to housing, definitely tell them. You are entitled to a three bedroom home as your daughter is over ten years old, and because their rules say opposite sex can't share when one is over 10, you are entitled to an extra bedroom. I would feel your son would benefit from having his own bedroom, but any medical evidence you can show them will go towards your case. My eldest son was diagnosed with ASD last year and one thing he really, REALLY needs is his own bedroom. He has to have an escape, space when he needs to get away. It's his own little zone where he can relax and do what he wants, get away from the noise and commotion, which he does struggle with, and having five kids in total it gets very chaotic here. 

Ask whoever assessed him, or your GP, to write you a letter to back you up and hand it in to housing. I'm not sure how far it would bump you up the list in bands, but it could really help and the only way to find out is to do it :)