Seems like walking in dense fog

Our two and half year old son has been diagnosed with ASD last week. Since then it seems we are walking in a dense fog. The worst part was that the consultant and therapist who gave us the diagnosis just seemed to let go and provided no further direction except pointing us to a parents workshop that will take place end of June sometime. 

So we have the diagnosis and don't know what further support is available, what treatment is needed, whether treatment would help, just don't know anything at all. Started trawling through info on the net and seems to be so much that I feel overwhelmed and unable to comprehend anything. 

I want to help my son (he has a good understanding - follows directions and instructions, but no verbal communication or emotional understanding), but not sure where to start. 

Parents
  • Don't forget that ASD is a spectrum disorder. We are all different. Some people need DLA/lots of support whilst others "just" need their parents and teachers etc to change the way they deal with us. If you watch Born Naughty on C4 at the moment you will see that a transformation in behaviour is possible for some if people learn what buttons to press and which buttons to avoid. Every autistic child benefits from people, especially parents, learning how to get the best out of them.

• Don't forget that ASD is a spectrum disorder. We are all different. Some people need DLA/lots of support whilst others "just" need their parents and teachers etc to change the way they deal with us. If you watch Born Naughty on C4 at the moment you will see that a transformation in behaviour is possible for some if people learn what buttons to press and which buttons to avoid. Every autistic child benefits from people, especially parents, learning how to get the best out of them.

Children
No Data