New, stressed, overwhelmed and looking for advice please

Hello there,

I am completely new to this site and not really sure how it works or if this is the right place to post?

Our 32 month old son was diagnosed last week. As is the same for everyone life is very busy and full of stress and now this. So just trying to get my head around it all and understand and educate myself. I was wondering if anyone can advise on how to find local support groups so one can meet people going through the same thing as you. I am also wondering how other parents cope, small example is my son ACTUALLY had a full nights sleep last night , this is rare for him and yet woke up ballistic and I could not figure out why. I went in to see to him and he just starts lashing out hitting me. :-( Due to other stress going on I am just a bit teary today and wondering what coping mechanism other parents use. Also once you had your diagnosis what did you do? As far as learing about it and how to best cope for all involved. Is there any professionals one can see that can specifically help with the behavioural side of things ?

I have enquired about a swapp course but we are waitlisted and the wait is quite long apparently.

Is there a section on this website for local groups in ones area?

I look forward to any tips and advice. Thank you.

Parents
  • Hi - welcome Smile.  Check out the home pg for info on lots of things + also the posts.  You'll find lots of posts from parents about how they felt when their child was diagnosed.  If you can tell us a bit more about your son, ie: is he verbal, has he got sensory issues, does he got to nursery, if so how autism aware are they, things like that?  Then posters can chip in with advice.  I would start by learning how autism affects your son as an individual - we are all different with our own strengths + weaknesses.  You're right when you identify that there's a lot to learn, so take it easy - bite size chunks are best.  Try to stick to a routine.  If he has problems understanding the spoken word then use a pictoral timetable so he knows what's going to happen nxt.  Observe his reactions closely as little things can mean a lot.  When he becomes distressed there will be a reason.  It's just it can be difficult to identify + difficult for him as to communicate.  It may seem a small trigger to us, but it won't be to him.  Don't rush things - he's the same little boy he always was. Smile

• Hi - welcome Smile.  Check out the home pg for info on lots of things + also the posts.  You'll find lots of posts from parents about how they felt when their child was diagnosed.  If you can tell us a bit more about your son, ie: is he verbal, has he got sensory issues, does he got to nursery, if so how autism aware are they, things like that?  Then posters can chip in with advice.  I would start by learning how autism affects your son as an individual - we are all different with our own strengths + weaknesses.  You're right when you identify that there's a lot to learn, so take it easy - bite size chunks are best.  Try to stick to a routine.  If he has problems understanding the spoken word then use a pictoral timetable so he knows what's going to happen nxt.  Observe his reactions closely as little things can mean a lot.  When he becomes distressed there will be a reason.  It's just it can be difficult to identify + difficult for him as to communicate.  It may seem a small trigger to us, but it won't be to him.  Don't rush things - he's the same little boy he always was. Smile

Children
No Data