Hello

I am Robert. Our three-year old daughter Valerie has been recently diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

She did not begin to show signs until after she was two. Oh, she did not start to walk until she was a year and a half and did not (and still does not talk) and throws tantrums and is isolated and does not repsond to her name.

All along, we were told, she would come along, she would start talking..well, she hasn't. She is also hyper-sensitive to high-pitched sounds. So, we went through a battery of tests -fun-and her hearing is okay beyond the autism-related sensitivity to noise-PA systems affect her badly.

We are in a remote area and finally found a neuro pediatrician, who quickly confirmed our suspicions. Her pediatrician-who was long of the "she is just late" school-finally said, "we can't ignore the signs."

So, we feel we cannot get the help we need here and are contemplating going to America.

I have started a blog to attract attention to our plight and learn as I go as many of you have. I am curious to hear stories, if people have had brain scans done on their children-that is our current debate.

Anyhow, thaks for having me. Here is a link to a blog I wrote https://victoryforvalerie.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/but-she-doesnt-look-autistic/?preview=true&preview_id=3&preview_nonce=1b7bae9a73

Parents
  • Hello, 

Don't give up hope, my nephew who was diagnosed at 3 was non verbal . He was one of those kids people would look at and you could see they were thinking "he needs a good slap"  he was fconstantly frustrated  and shouting and screaming.  he went  to a mainstream school and with other children around him  constantly chit chatting and speech therapy  he slowly but surely made progress!. He is 11 now., he speaks just like any other child, he has a lot of friends  and exels in maths.  I'm  so proud of my sister  for never giving up and she is such a massive help to me now that my own 3 yr old is being assesed.  be strong for her  never give up!!!!  Set an example and She will learn from your strength  and support x

• Hello, 

Don't give up hope, my nephew who was diagnosed at 3 was non verbal . He was one of those kids people would look at and you could see they were thinking "he needs a good slap"  he was fconstantly frustrated  and shouting and screaming.  he went  to a mainstream school and with other children around him  constantly chit chatting and speech therapy  he slowly but surely made progress!. He is 11 now., he speaks just like any other child, he has a lot of friends  and exels in maths.  I'm  so proud of my sister  for never giving up and she is such a massive help to me now that my own 3 yr old is being assesed.  be strong for her  never give up!!!!  Set an example and She will learn from your strength  and support x

Children
No Data