A hello from a newbie

Hi,

My name is Maria and I am a single mum to two wonderful boys.  My oldest is 20 and my youngest is 11 and who has high functioning autism.

I joined this site to get answers.  My son is in mainstream school and is struggling so much and with hardly any support. Some teachers have even said they are learning about autism as they teach him!  Some have said he shouldn't be in mainstream?

I'm a very optimistic, cheerful mum even though I am dealing with all these problems mostly by myself, while dealing with some disablities and the stress can be overwhelming at times (I never show this to ANYONE).  Alas, his dad (ex husband) offers minimal help and my elderly parents can only do so much...who wants to burden their own parents anyways?

I hope by being on here I can find answers to certain situations I have to deal with and to get some support from others going through the same things Smile

• Hi Maria - welcome to the site.  There's loads of info via the home pg + posts, so have a good look around if you haven't already.  Lots of people here will be helpful + supportive so ask anything you want - they'll understand.  Have you got anyone who can help you?  You do sound like you're shouldering a lot of worries all by yourself.  Has your son moved up into mainstream secondary?  Lots of posts on here relate how difficult it is sometimes for our children to cope with?  What support does he get at school, such as a TA?   Check out the home pg to know your rights re. education etc. Smile