New Member with newly diagnosed teenage son

Hi

My son who is 16 and has a twin brother who is an NT like myself was recently diagnosed.I have feelings of guilt as i never suspected it until recently following a stressful year of issues.

My son has taken his diagnosis very positively, which is great but further advice on how to help him cope would be greatfully received and thats why i am here. Smile

• Hi Twinpeeks,

Don't feel guilty. Most people have autistic traits about them...its ony when you get a lot of traits together that it gets termed as autism...so who knows where the line between ASD and neuro typical lies? Parents sometimes fight for years to get a diagnosis so even the experts in the field find it hard to diagnose in a person. The one thing I have learned in the 8 + years that we have been raising our high functioning grandson (14yrs old now), is that you can waste time feeling guilty about everything but it will only add to the challenges you all dealing with and its a waste of your time and effort. Welcome to the ASD community...there is a lot of positive stuff about the condition as  you will know from your son..as well as the challenges.